Trip Report: Novotel Chumphon Beach Resort and Golf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funrecdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There and back again, from the Bangkok area to the south of Thailand on a scuba exploration trip, I stayed at one property which is worth writing about. the Novotel Chumphon. You can easily see images of the property here.

Many people rush past Chumphon on the way to and from other destinations in Thailand. There is not much to do there, it is really quiet and not a very busy place. For tourists, the busiest place in Chumphon is the Lompraiyah pier that ferries people back and forth from Koh Tao and other southern designations in a high speed catamaran.

The Novotel Chumphon was so nice, I stated their a total of five nights, and plan to go back. The hotel is new and the rooms are huge. The bed was the largest bed I have ever slept in. The hotel staff was just about the nicest staff I have ever seen in a hotel in Thailand. They reminded me of Thailand 20 years ago when the country was more peaceful and smiles were more sincere.

The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. In fact, the restaurant at the club house had very delicious grilled chicken (gai yang) and sticky rice, Issan style, for a very reasonable price. I never ate anywhere else but on the property as it was very good and reasonable. There was really no reason to drive my car anywhere else, which is unusual for me, as we are always eager to explore new places to eat and things to see.

The property is really beautiful. It is open and breezy and very modern in design, combined with a bit of traditional Thai architecture. On my second stay, I was upgraded to a pool view, where I could see the sea and the pools and the beautiful lobby. I was going to stay one night, and stayed there 3 nights because it was so comfortable and the people were so nice. I am sure I will stay there again.

So, if you are on a diving trip and traveling past Chumphon, if you have the time, I highly recommend you stay one or more nights at the Novotel Chumphon. They have a dive shop there, but I did not stay there for diving, just relaxing; hence, I cannot comment on the dive shop there.

The Novotel Chumphon is such a nice place, that I am considering going back to stay there for a few weeks and just relax there. Of course, there is diving, but the property also boasts a very attractive nine hole golf course, which I was eager to try (did not bring my clubs).

In a nutshell, if you are on a drive trip, and you pass Chumphon, I highly recommend you stay there if you have the time. It is a luxurious bargain and a very fine property with very nice people working there.

Last edited:
Chumphon is slowly getting more developed, but still very quiet. There are a couple of nice beaches - Thung Wua Laen (aka Cababa Beach) a bit north of Chumphon Town, and Sairee beach a bit south. The town is not by the beach. My wife's family is from Chumphon. We go there pretty often and have thought about living there, much cheaper than Phuket. I did ask last year for rates at the Chumphon Cabana for diving and was surprised that for diving at local islands, not that far offshore, the rates were about the same as day trips in Phuket. Last visit in May we loved heading down to Thung Wua Laen beach for some food and there was a little beachside bar run by a Thai/English couple (Thai guy/English girl) where we could play pool, have a couple of beers .. very relaxed place.

Chumphon is slowly getting more developed, but still very quiet. There are a couple of nice beaches - Thung Wua Laen (aka Cababa Beach) a bit north of Chumphon Town, and Sairee beach a bit south. The town is not by the beach. My wife's family is from Chumphon. We go there pretty often and have thought about living there, much cheaper than Phuket. I did ask last year for rates at the Chumphon Cabana for diving and was surprised that for diving at local islands, not that far offshore, the rates were about the same as day trips in Phuket. Last visit in May we loved heading down to Thung Wua Laen beach for some food and there was a little beachside bar run by a Thai/English couple (Thai guy/English girl) where we could play pool, have a couple of beers .. very relaxed place.

Take a dive with them and watch everything carefully.....If they are still the same as 1 year ago you will see some strange things.....

Take a dive with them and watch everything carefully.....If they are still the same as 1 year ago you will see some strange things.....

Do they have a strange way of diving?
Please tell us a bit more....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom