Trip Report, Nekton Pilot, Belize 12/03/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It was a great trip and we would do it again in a heart beat.

The boat was just fine. Accommodations were clean and the rooms were tended daily. The upper sun deck is huge. Always a lounge chair and the hot tub is kept hot. Arminda, our chef, was a great cook. The menu pretty well followed the one shown on the web site. The food was very good and plentiful. Cold juices and tea and hot tea and coffee are available around the clock.

There were 22 divers and 10 crew members. As advertised, it was eat, dive, surface interval, dive, eat lunch while boat moves to new reef, dive, surface interval, dive, eat dinner, night dive, sleep and repeat. Two mornings there were opportunities for dawn dives so on those days you could do 6 dives. In total one could dive 32 times. The most I heard of was 28. We did 21. Interestingly, there were a lot of dive masters and instructors on the trip. Oh I forgot… exit the water, take a hot shower right there on the dive deck. Take a couple of steps and grab a hot towel to wrap up in as you head to the salon for a hot cookies right out of the oven.

Every dive site, except the last one of the week, was a wall dive. At one of the dive sites we encountered very poor visibility and a pretty strong surge. The visibility for all the other dives was in the 80 to a 100 foot range and there was zero current which was great.

We flew into Belize City and boarded the Pilot thinking we were doing the Central itinerary but as it turned out we did the Southern. I think weather was the determining factor but I’m not sure. Another couple said they knew we were going on the southern itinerary. That trip took us to Glovers and we worked our way back from there.

The Pilot’s dive masters were often in the water but basically you are on your own. Being that these were wall dives you don’t have to worry about getting lost as long as you know where the wall is and which way you were going. In addition, the tops of the hard coral reefs are in 25’ to 40’ of water so surfacing for a peek would be okay if you had too.

Lot’s of Tarpin and Barracuda. Pretty big ones too. Yellow fin and blue tang everywhere. Lot’s of tunicates. Huge hard coral and lot’s of barrel sponge. Generally the fish were plentiful. Several rays in sandy areas. Turtles were scarce. Sharks were very scarce. Eels were scarce. My beautiful bride found the only toadfish and she was the hero of the day.

Water temp was from 78 to 81 degrees. A 3mm would be fine. One guy dove the whole week in a 5mm and we took a 5 with us and used it on the night dives but we really didn’t need it. Another guy wore just a bathing suit on every dive. Saw a couple of shorties. A lot of people wore skins.

It’s a great experience. We’re going to do one of the Bahama trips next and it’ll be with Nekton.

Sounds like a great trip Don. Hot cookies from the oven, what a decadent treat! Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Did you (or others) make your dives with nitrox or regular air?

scuba_mike:
Sounds like a great trip Don. Hot cookies from the oven, what a decadent treat! Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Did you (or others) make your dives with nitrox or regular air?

We did the Nitrox. Of the 22 divers I think there were 8 using Nitrox. The crew was diligent about analyzing the gas even though it's banked and was consistantly between 32% and 33%.

Regarding the cookies... they never ran out either.

Thanks for a nice report. Sounds like you had a great time. We are excited as we leave in 12 more days to head to Belize. We will board the Pilot on New Year's Eve. What a great way to start the new year off.

I was especially glad to hear about the EAN being 32%. We decided to pay the extra for it but were wondering about if it would be worth it if they only did 29%.

The dawn dives sound exciting. In the past, we have been in the water every time they opened the dive deck. 32 dives in a week sounds great to me.

Which sites were your favorites and why? Do you have any advice for us?

Thanks again for your report.

Great report, looking to book this trip later in the year. Now I am pumped!!

I will be on this same trip 1-7 . I am very happy to hear about your good experience . I think that I will do EAN as well , seems to be the way to go with 32 possible dives . I would love to do all of them . The cookies sound great but after a good dive things always seem to taste better. The info on this board is amazing , thanks all .

The Nekton uses 95cf steel tanks. Totally forgot to make any kind of adjustment and on the first dive my wife and I both sank like rocks. Way too heavy!!! This is while wearing 3/2mm full suits too.

We pulled 4 pounds for the next dive and then 2 at a time until we had dropped 8 pounds each.

We were able to hold a free hanging safety stop with near empty tanks too.

There is a hang bar under the pilot at about 12 to 13 feet. Also hanging at that depth near the hang bar is a tank with a pressure guage and a couple of reg's.

Once you have a tank and your bc's attached to it you'll use that tank the whole week. After a dive, as soon as you get your tank in it's rack they're refilled almost immediately. They try to fill them to 2400psi but it will vary a couple of hundred either way. A guy near me had about 1500 once so be sure you check. If you're below 2400 they will top you off and it's quick and easy to do.

I was checking out their website today. I was wondering if most of the cabins have a single queen bed or two doubles? The boat layout on their site makes it look like mostly single queens.

bikefox:
I was checking out their website today. I was wondering if most of the cabins have a single queen bed or two doubles? The boat layout on their site makes it look like mostly single queens.

We were on the Grouper Deck in cabin 6. It had 2 twins even though the diagram on the web site shows that room with a single queen. Cabin 5 had a queen although the web site shows it with twins. I don't know about any of the other rooms.

Ask when you sign up.

Thanks for the report. I have been thinking about the liveaboard trip. It will be a while for me....$$$.... You know how it is, but I think I will go with Nekton when I do go..... Nice trip.

Back
Top Bottom