Trip Report: MDLA Club Dives (Regina and Mary Alice B)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just wanted to post a quick trip report.

This last Sunday (Sept 12th, 2010) a group of divers from Michigan Lake Divers Association (Home Page) took out the DiveVersion dive boat for a few dips in Lake Huron. The group met at the Lexington docks and loaded gear there. The boat time was suppose to be 8:00am, but one diver had a hard time finding the location in Lexington. All divers were finally loaded and ready for departure at 8:30am.

The first dive of the day was on the Regina. The lake was very calm with little to no waves in the morning. We had a total of 11 or 12 divers on board. The group jumped in and had a great dive. Because of the past few weeks of high winds, the lake was pretty churned up and visibility was not all that great (about 10 foot or so). However, everyone still had a great dive. My dive consisted of a penetration dive. I entered the ship amidships at the large crack and then headed to the bow. Visibility inside the wreck was also down (maybe 15 feet or so). After a leisurely swim and look around in the bow, I turned around and headed to the stern. I really enjoy looking at all them mechanicals around the engine. I then exited the wreck through the stern and made a leisurely dive around the debris field. At this point my NDL was hit so I started up the ascent line. Although I had the camera along, I didn't end up taking any video of this dive. Was just enjoying the dive on a great wreck.

Once I got topside the dive boat "The Great Lakes Diver" had tied off to our boat with a load of divers getting ready to jump in the water. By the time the rest of our divers got back on the boat, there were a total of 4 dive boats tied off to the Regina. We were going to do the Sport as our second dive, but talking with Rick, they were going to be heading their next with their divers doing checkout dives. Instead of two boats tied off to the small wreck, I recommended to the other divers and captain for us to change plans and head over to the Mary Alice B.

So, we changed plans and headed to the Mary Alice B. Once we got on location, the waves had picked up a little (they were probably 2 foot waves). After about an hour surface interval the group splashed on the wreck and had a great dive. This time I took some video while on the wreck. The plan worked out good as we were the only ones tied to this wreck. As the divers surfaced, Dave Zarling (President of the MLDA) had hot dogs grilled on the boat and lunch ready for the divers (Thanks Dave!). After a few great dives and a nice lunch on the boat we headed back to Lexington. I think we ended up arriving back at Lexington about 12:30 or so.

There was talk that the club will do another dive yet this season in Lake Huron. Dave normally posts the dive here on Scubaboard so keep your eyes open for it!

Here is the compilation of the video I took on this trip. Come join us next time!

Sept 12th, 2010 MLDA Charter - Regina and Mary Alice B Shipwrecks on Vimeo

JWe were going to do the Sport as our second dive, but talking with Rick, they were going to be heading their next with their divers doing checkout dives. Instead of two boats tied off to the small wreck, I recommended to the other divers and captain for us to change plans and head over to the Mary Alice B.
You mean; "after we ate wake from The Great Lakes Diver and realized our big chugger was no match we waved the white flag and headed over to the Mary Alice B." :mooner:

Actually, when we got to the Sport, Hollis was already there with his boat Blue Heaven. We did tie off the back and also dove the Strong afterwards. The visibility wasn't horrible on either and the water was pretty warm (Keith and I did an hour on the Strong with our students!)

It was great to see all the boats out there, especially after some ****ty weather over the last week or two. If I can make a suggestion: I think the MLDA should raise money/favors next for some anchoring blocks of some sort. I'm less concerned about the weight of the dive boats on the wrecks than the damage that is done (especially to the wooden boats) by anchoring directly to them; wear and tear from the chain rubbing, etc.

Here's to the warmest fall on record!

Rick

You mean; "after we ate wake from The Great Lakes Diver and realized our big chugger was no match we waved the white flag and headed over to the Mary Alice B." :mooner:

Ha ha! Your just jealous we had a grill going on our boat! :D

All kidding aside, it was nice to see everyone out enjoying some dives. I just figured it didn't make sense for us to all be diving the small tug.

I completely agree on trying to set up mooring blocks off of the wrecks in the preserve. I think getting the block would be the easy part. Who (other than the Coast Guard) has a boat that could safely and easily set a mooring block? If I remember right, most if not all the wrecks up in Alpena (Thunder Bay Preserve) have mooring blocks. Anyone from up there comment on how they got that done? Anyone know what size (weight) blocks were used up in Alpena?

Anyway, looking forward to being on The Great Lakes Diver next weekend. I've got my fingers crossed for good weather!

Back
Top Bottom