Trip Report March 23-27 - Honolulu, Kaimana Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent a week in Honolulu in March checking out my daughter's new college and squeezed in a couple days of diving with Kaimana.

Communication with this shop was outstanding! Booking, reminders the night before, updates on pick up times... Gabe and Kevin really have their act together. This is an organized, hard-working, professional shop and it was a pleasure to dive with them.

We brought our own equipment, but when my son's BCD malfunctioned they had a spare on the boat. Great save! He ended up renting, and everyone else on the boat was using rental equipment. All Kaimana's equipment looked in great shape and we didn't see anyone have issues. The boat was clean and well appointed with all the necessary safety equipment and the captain gave a very detailed briefing. Kevin even picked us up and dropped us back at our Waikiki condo!! GREAT customer service!

We dove with Jaret (sp?) and Kevin and both gave pre-dive briefings and were fun to dive with. Group size varied between 2 and 5. We dove Turtle Canyon, Mario World, Horseshoe Reef and the YO-257. The turtles were out at TC, we saw a SCHOOL of puffers at Mario's World and even though I'm not a huge fan of wrecks, I really enjoyed the YO. Visibility was great and the entire dive was scored with whale song. Really great dive! I believe there were sharks under a ledge at Horseshoe, but I stayed poking around the reef. Horseshoe was the best reef of the trip. Not exactly the Bloody Wall or Cozumel, but the water was warm and I was underwater :D The majority of my diving has been in the Caribbean so it was interesting to see some different fish. The score of the trip was a baby frogfish the size of my pinky nail!! Thanks Jaret :banana:

Our 3rd day of diving the boat broke down on our way out so we never got a chance to dive, but Kevin worked his A$$ off trying to get that boat going again.... I know they all felt bad about the dives and 'inconvenience', but these things happen. It was obvious that the boat is very well maintained, and this was a rare occurrence. In my opinion, the morning was awesome. I was on a boat off Honolulu. The scenery was spectacular, we got a fly over of fighter jets, and at one point the whales decided to come right up to the boat! Yep, we sat there watching the whales, eating snacks and drinking while Kevin toiled away. Terrible morning, right? (sorry Kevin) :wink: After we slowly made our way back to the marina we found a seahorse waiting to greet us when we tied off. That's right, my non-dive day I saw a whale from 20' and a seahorse up close and personal. LOL

If you're diving out of Honolulu, give Kaimana a call, you won't be sorry. Since I'll be back regularly to visit my girl (Go Warriors!), I look forward to diving with them again. Sea Tiger in August, Kevin?

What an awesome review! Thanks so much for sharing with Scuba Board. It is a shame when issues crop up on the boat and I really appreciate that you took the time to write a detailed description of our operation. I can honestly say that in 10 years of diving here I haven't seen a sea horse. We'll be looking forward to checking out some more sites with you in August....... maybe even get a shore dive or two in on the North Shore.

A Hui Hou....

G

What an awesome review! Thanks so much for sharing with Scuba Board. It is a shame when issues crop up on the boat and I really appreciate that you took the time to write a detailed description of our operation. I can honestly say that in 10 years of diving here I haven't seen a sea horse. We'll be looking forward to checking out some more sites with you in August....... maybe even get a shore dive or two in on the North Shore.

A Hui Hou....

G
I'll be in Oahu in October on business, but looking for a day of diving. I'm reading positive stuff about you guys so, you can expect a call from me soon to set up a dive with some peers. We are all pretty advanced divers, any must do dives that we could plan ahead for?

Do it! I'm going back to Honolulu and the 1st thing I did, even before booking my flight or hotel was to give Them a shout.

Back
Top Bottom