Trip Report ~ Lalati on Beqa Island, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowdog77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent 9 nights at Lalati. Flew Air Pacific from LAX>NAN>SUV and then took a 2 hour van ride to Pacific Harbor to catch the resort boat to Beqa which only took about 45 minutes. Received a nice foot massage upon arrival and were set up in a spacious bungalow.

Things went downhill from there.....we, as well as the majority of the other guests who were there just before us and those in a dive group who arrived after we did, caught some kind of virus....suspect probably Norovirus. We lost 3 days diving because we were doing the nausea/vomiting/diarrhea thing. Yep.....we were on a first-name basis with our bungalow toilet. Fortunately, we had read recent reviews on the resort and noticed several reports of folks getting sick...so we had packed prescription meds which helped alleviate the symptoms. Complicating the matter was the problem with the water at the resort...we only had hot water intermittently and could not drink the water in the bungalow.

The resort was comfortable, the staff great, the diving good, the food good but they've got to get a handle on the virus. If I return to Fiji, it will be to Mai Dive on Kadavu...had a great time there in June-----------and didn't get sick!!

Our local dive shop had the same experience at Bega Lagoon over Thanksgiving. Something is going on over there IMO - I hope they get it under control before I arrive in a few months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom