Trip Report, La Parguera, Puerto Rico - December 26-30, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too have dove with West Divers last April. Victor and Roxanne were there. The sad thing is my wife and I will be headed there next week and I was hoping to dive while she was in meetings. We stayed @ the Villa Parguera last time and it was so convenient since the others had the rental car. Now the weird phone call with the so far undelivered return call to set up some trips is starting to make sense. If someone has contact info for Victor or some other suggestions I would appreciate it just PM me.

We will probably be heading back to San Juan via the West and North Side of the island so any info on dive operations along the way would also be helpful.

Do most folks go with Taino out of Rincon??

Thanks

Mike

from what I can tell, Taino is the way to go on the west side of the island. I'll be there in mid march for a couple of days and after not getting alot of comfort from west divers, Taino was a breath of fresh air over the phone. Guy was pleasant, organized and gave great advice on where to stay etc. Never been to Puerto Rico but can't wait for the trip.

from what I can tell, Taino is the way to go on the west side of the island. I'll be there in mid march for a couple of days and after not getting alot of comfort from west divers, Taino was a breath of fresh air over the phone. Guy was pleasant, organized and gave great advice on where to stay etc. Never been to Puerto Rico but can't wait for the trip.

Thanks for the reply

I have only been to PR once and had a great time. Had a great time last April w/ West Divers (Victor/ Carlos/ Roxanne etc). Just had two of my emails to WD come back rejected. From what I can tell we can put the nail in the proverbial coffin for West Divers at least for now. It is a shame it seemed last April that they had a good thing going. Probably have to write off the diving at least for the beginning of next week since I wont have transportation (definitely was a plus for WD while staying @ Villa Parguera since the dock was basically right next door). Will still take the gear and try to make something happen. I will try to give Taino a call.

I think you will enjoy PR..:D Let me know how it goes for you!!

Thanks for posting your report, jlevine. I'd gotten the same email from Roxanna and Victor and wondered how things would shake out.

When we dove La Parguera back in June 2008, I thought the wall was great, but was disappointed to get only one dive on it over two days (first tank on the AM boat). The PM and night dives were all at the inshore sites, with poor vis. We, however, did not have the time limitation issues on our trip.

rashdecision, I posted a list of other threads previously , which may be useful to you. We did one charter with Taino Divers on the same trip and had two absolutely fantastic dives at Desecheo - best vis I have ever seen - now I know what 'gin clear' means! As long as you're mentally prepared for the boat-loading process and a long, potentially bumpy ride (we were lucky and had calm seas), you should be fine. It's also too bad there's only one charter per day, but it's a long trip.

Edited to add: Taino Divers tacked on a 'fuel surcharge' that was not listed on their website. :rolleyes:

The restaurant/cafe next to the dive shop is excellent - Mrs. DivingPanda is vegetarian and was happy to find a nicely appointed salad on the menu there. Villa Cofresi is a decent accommodation - not luxurious by any means, but a fine place to crash after diving. We did have some minor probs with hot water in our room and, IIRC, with getting breakfast early enough to drive to Taino in the morning (I think they managed to come up with some packaged danishes for us), but our room was spacious and the staff was friendly.

We also did two shore dives in Aguadilla that same afternoon, which was well worth it. We got tanks and a guide from PRTDC - they did not have the nitrox we'd requested, despite confirming several times, but our guide, Julio, was exceptionally nice. Don't expect much in terms of seascape - lots of sparse barrel sponges with little bits of life here and there, but we did see two turtles on our afternoon dive. Our night dive at Crashboats Pier was fantastic, though - lots of cool stuff on the pilings and the largest pufferfish I'd ever seen...that is until we saw his big brother on our way back into shore! :)

P.S. Sorry to thread-jack, jlevine!

At least your vacation was saved. And they were honest with you. And they tried to figure something out.
When I called the the West Divers Store I asked for them (Victor and Roxanna), they said that they were away but they would pass on the message. They never did, because when I got to the store, they were not there, kept asking for them and no one could give me an answer. I only did my reservation with them because of them, but I am never diving with WEST DIVERS.

On our first dive trip, the Air also tasted bad, not only that but the tanks, as I learned on my Open water the Inspections did not look up to date. I ask for another tank and they told me that it was ok, that were going to inspect the tanks that day, it was on their schedule. I did not feel comfortable with that but I really wanted to dive. When we got to our first dive spot, I was waiting for the regular briefing on the place and nothing. The Divemaster or at least I think she was one, did not even look back
to see how we were doing, that might be ok for you as you seem to be an experience diver, but for me is not ok. When we got up it was only 45 minutes interval, when we went down to almost a 100 feet. On the second dive the same no briefing, no nothing.
We dove she went ahead and I had to keep up to not get lost, I did not enjoyed that dive.
When we arrive to the dock, the captain, turn off the boat and left. We were left with a young boy that did not speak any English at all and the suppose Divemaster.
I asked her if she was going to be at the store later so that she could sign my logbook, she look at me funny, but I did not payed attention.
When I got to the store, she was there, she sign the book and I asked her for DM number, and she says to me "I am not a Divemaster I am only helping them out, I only have the Advance Diver" Seriously!
I do not need to tell you that I cancel my whole week with them, How could they work like that risking peoples life. She did not even had the Rescue Course.
I would wake up at 5am in the morning any day if it concerns my safety. I am so happy that I ran in to Roxanne three days later at the plaza and they she was able to accommodate my last two days of diving.
Safety should always come first, even if we have to wake up early, at least you were able to dive with a good Crew.
Sorry Mr. Levine but I have to say that I would dive anytime with Victor and his crew.
J Patrick

Hello, I'm glad your experience went well. I agree safety should come first. That, however, is a given. I expect it and it is non-negotiable.

Much of what I wrote about had to do with organization and convenience....and my trip was fairly disorganized and extremely inconvenient. Would I dive again with Victor and Roxanna? Quite possibly. Would I dive with them "anytime" as you have mentioned? No...not if the operation and the way they run their dives does not meet my criteria. My criteria may not be the same as yours.

La Parguera as a location has much going for it. I would like to see a dive shop in the area (whether run by Victor/Roxanna or someone else) that runs a good, safe, operation.

soooooo???? how'd it go??? :popcorn:
i'm looking at a trip for October and have never been.. need some fresh input!!

I am so happy that I ran in to Roxanne three days later at the plaza and they she was able to accommodate my last two days of diving.
Safety should always come first, even if we have to wake up early, at least you were able to dive with a good Crew.
Sorry Mr. Levine but I have to say that I would dive anytime with Victor and his crew.
J Patrick

Do you have any information on how to get ahold of Victor and Roxanna? We dove with West Divers (when Victor and Roxanna were connected with the shop) and have been looking into going back soon, but are a little wary due to the apparent state of flux of dive shops in La Parguera.

Plus, do you have any details on where you dove with them those two days?

Thanks!

Greetings all,
I just returned from Rincon, Puerto Rico; stayed at Casa Islena Inn and dove with Taino Divers.
Summary - I'd do both again in a heartbeat.
The Casa Islena Inn provided clean, comfortable rooms at a reasonable cost with a continental breakfast in th AM. They're about a 20 minute drive from Taino. On the beach or in the pool, a great relaxing place to sit and recall the dive experience from earlier in the day.
Taino Divers; helpful and courteous on the phone and from behind the counter. In the boat, safety briefing was always first then time for fun. Dive Master Izzy took great care of the customers, in and out of the water.
Diving Desecheo Island was absolutely incredible. Great visibility, plenty of underwater life, and hardly any current. Great locations for photography. Along the west end of Desecheo is a site called Pinnacle. I'd put the swim-throughs of this site on par with the Palancar Caves in Cozumel.
Sure we did the "assembly line" to load and unload the boat, but that turned into a great ice breaker when it came to getting to know your fellow divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom