Trip Report - Huracan Diving on Long Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive_Girl_09

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those of you who are interested in diving at Lighthouse Reef, here is a short report on our 4-day stay with Huracan Diving on Long Caye in Dec. 2008.
My husband and I were looking forward to exploring the dive sites around Long Caye, Halfmoon Caye, and of course the Blue Hole, without the rather grueling 3-hour boat ride from San Pedro. We decided to stay with Huracan Diving, the only dive base on Long Caye, which is a mere 15 minutes away from all major attractions. Well, we should have scheduled for longer
Belgian owners Ruth and Karel opened Huracan Diving in the summer of 2008. Huracan is a rather small but top-notch PADI outfit which also offers basic accommodation (currently 3 double rooms). Karel organizes the dive operation perfectly. The rental equipment is brand-new, and daily dives can be scheduled according to individual taste. On one occasion, we were lucky enough to have the Blue Hole to ourselves after all of the San Pedro boats had left. We had two wonderful and relaxed dives there; just Karel, my husband, and I. The dive sites at Long Caye and Halfmoon Caye are also great; intact reefs with lots of fish. I found them superior to the dive sites off Placencia and as good as the ones around Ambergris Caye.
The double rooms at Huracan are basic but done in Belizian style and very comfortable. Ruth organizes everything on shore and is a wonderful cook.
However, land lubbers beware! Apart from diving and lots of nature, there is not much else to keep you entertained. But if you are looking for a congenial setting to kick back and explore the waters off Belize, this is the place for you.

Yes, thanks for posting. Any walk in flyfishing available around the lodge?

Hi All, Thanks for the kind welcome. As for walk-in fly fishing: I have
seen people fishing off the dock on Long Caye's leeward side; but the
island is surrounded by coral reef, so it's probably not the best spot
to venture off shore. I'm not much of a sports fisher myself, so you
might want to double-check with the folks at Huracan, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom