Trip Report : Huatulco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huatulco is a gem. I was there four years ago and absolutely loved the fact that there are so few resorts and the place is so small.

Roberto,
Your reply is appreciated; your prompt action even more so. You have good people and a good operation that simply needs to be "tweaked" in a few areas, most of which are simply a matter of more communication.

You might, for example, make dives more interesting by giving a short ecological and biological outline at the shop, before people head out. In order to help divers and snorkellers to really appreciate what they'll be seeing, you could, for example, explain the nature of the geology and the "plate coral". You could also describe some of the fish and invertebrate species they'll see, perhaps contrasting them with Caribbean ones. A few pictures and a bit of back-and-forth with divers can also help. Scuba Iguana and BC's Nautilus Explorer do that, probably to take some of the load of DM's, who may not be as confident (or fluent in English), are sometimes on a rocking boat and usually have more than enough to do.

It was our fault that I did not notice your caveat about "snorkelling fins" in your emails to us. You may want to warn people that while you do your best, they may be more comfortable with their own fins. (Ariel, Kathleen and I have 7 or 8 pairs between us, and after hauling our 1/2 ton Apollo Biofin Pro XT's to the Galapagos, we could certainly have taken them along.)

Which gets back to the point of communication...or perhaps my own negligence in not reading more about Huatulco and examining your website more closely. We brought those fins to the G's because we anticipated strong currents. For similar reasons we were very careful about the sun, there. It might be a good idea to really (again??) warn people-- especially those as pale skinned and (52.5 degrees!) northerly as us Saskatoonians--to bring protection for *every inch* of their bodies for snorkelling or excursion trips. We were hardly reckless, but did sometimes forget that sunblock washes off and that really "gringo" ankles and hands and feet can burn--badly--too. People should know, of course, but reminding them will save a lot of pain.

Thank you, again, for your prompt reply...and action,

My wife & I (also from 52.5) spent 6 weeks in the Huatulco area Through January & February of this year, and were amazed to see the relatively untouched coastal area on many excursions with Hurricane Divers. In 6 weeks I did 18 dives and 4 excursions, many on Dignity and a few on hired boats.

I am not sure how it is the tour operator's fault that you and your family got a sunburn... Huatulco is in the desert region of southern Mexico where sunshine and 35 degrees are guaranteed. I am sure that you came across this information on your research prior to leaving Saskatoon.

Snorkeling at St. Augustine & Cakaluta is second to none. Our excursions were outstanding, the food that was provided was amazing, varied and plentiful, and the sun was always out which is the exact reason we chose the Huatulco area, after watching it rain many times on the Atlantic & Caribbean coast. (also, our last trip to Cozumel the diving was all closed due to wind...) On our 18th day in Huatulco, the sun went behind a cloud. For a few minutes. Bring your waterproof sunscreen.

As for the diving in the area, I found it to be outstanding and can hardly wait to return. After finishing an AOW course with Hurricane and its patient and knowledgeable instructors, I look forward to advancing my knowledge with a rescue diver course there next winter. There was not a day that a dive trip didn’t go out, and had I wanted to dive if there was no trip planned, Roberto would have accommodated me and said so many times. However, as we were there for a few weeks I was happy to work into a scheduled trip any chance I had.

Depending on the dive site, there are many and varied opportunities to see sea life, evidenced by the nearly 1000 digital pictures I took on my many dives. I must have had different DM's than you because the dive was always explained, what we should expect to see, the general direction, current, depth, bottom time and expected surge based on where we were and the weather conditions.

I guess everyone’s experience is different, however your trip is what you make it.

Hey Roberto! - Thanks for a great trip.

Hurricane, that is the kind of response we are hoping for....A Dive Op center that listens!!!

Much success to you and yours....now if we can get that pesky strike problem fixed ....

As I said, Hurrican Divers is likely the safest and best operation in the area, they are nice people and are reasonably priced. However, we did experience problems. While these were partly our own fault, they also resulted from situations which it was difficult to anticipate. We experienced few similar problems (minor sunburn) on our land-based Galapagos trip the previous year, despite even hotter and drier regions, much longer small boat trips and--often considerably-- more challenging diving, surf, surge and current conditions.

Of course we should have used SPF 50+ rather than 35, and applied it more extensively and often,and worn full-coverge skinsuits, rather than just shirts and T-shirts while snorkelling. *Some will think that I am making too much of an issue about this, but after recently losing a friend to skin cancer (he'd been a travel agent in Hawaii), I think not.* Also,we should have brought our *diving* fins.

Hurricane generally do their best, under difficult conditions. It is surely difficult to operate a boat, maintain equipment, hire and train staff in such a remote area, especially during the crazy peak (Canadian winter school break) week of the year. Neverthess, our experiences we had with the even more remote Nature Island Dive in Dominica and Scuba Iguana in the Galapagos suggest possible improvements.

More enthusiatic and descriptive dive briefings, a table for that terrific food that doesn't blow away and a bit more protection from the sun would cost little. Perhaps excursion operators could cooperate on building a simple lean-to or dining hut. Divers/ excursioners/ snorkellers could also be given a simple handout on the upcoming programs, with some warning of precautions needed.

We only had 6 of 7 days (to their credit, Hurricane do not operate on Sundays) in which to fit in 6 dives and a day long excursion, and had to take--and Roberto had to scramble to provide--whatever sites were reachable within the time left by certification programs and would also be safe enough for new divers, etc. Had we had more time, and Hurricane been lese stretched,then I'm sure we would, like you,have had a better experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom