Trip report from Roatan newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I put this trip report into 'compartments' in order to make it easier to read and skip over the parts that you are not interested in reading:) . We spent Jan 22- Jan 29 in Roatan. It was our first visit to the island. Other dive destinations have been Cozumel, Saba, Grand Cayman and Curacao. My impression is that Roatan shares the most similarities with Cozumel. The main differences being that Cozumel seemed to generally have a larger quantity and variety of marine life, but Roatan had a more abundant supply of grouper, snapper, and turtles. The corals appeared vibrant, healthy and mature. There were many large barrel sponges and brain coral which were more abundant and larger than any other destination. My favorite dive sites are a tie between Spooky Channel and Green Outhouse. Spooky Channel is different from anything else that I have dived in the Caribbean. Dramatic canyon with swim through, vast marine life and short boat ride from dive op. I have not read much about Green Outhouse. Perhaps it was here that I saw the greatest variety of marine life without having to go beyond 70 feet. I saw numerous grouper, snapper, free swimming Moray Eel, and at one point looked up to see three turtles above me-two hawksbill and one green.

Lodging at The Blue Bahia

We stayed at Blue Bahia. I found the condo on VRBO. The condo was exactly as described-perhaps nicer. It was such a relief to travel the Caribbean and sleep in a really comfortable King bed. Hot water was abundant. A/C in each room worked well and consistently. The resort is located down the street from the main road. Absolutely no noise from traffic. Amazingly, I did not hear any roosters or dogs barking at night. Condo had satellite t.v. which was grainy but I had no problems getting with reception. Pool and grounds groomed several time a day and well maintained. Pool was chilly, but I usually just like to sit around them any ways. There are no palapas or canopy's but since the complex is built around the pool, there was always some shade to be found. The beach is not the best. Lost of sea grass, sandy beach area occasionally used as road by cars. Many people we talked with enjoyed the snorkeling off the pier. I kept vowing that I would snorkel after my dives. But to be honest, once I settled down with my mojito, my cold and damp wetsuit did not tempt me enough. I figured the location of the Blue Bahia put us in close proximity to many of the dive sites. I am so prone to sea sickness and wanted a place where long boat rides would not be an issue. The prospect of shorter boat rides trumped staying in a location with the nicer-more pristine beaches.

Kent was a wonderful host. Timely in e mail correspondence and preparation of our arrival. Pick up at airport was timely and friendly. Kent always made a point of talking with all his guests. He provided a great deal of helpful information about restaurants on the island, cab fares etc. He is a laid back guy who also knows how to run a tight ship. West End is a 5 minute cab ride. The supermarket is about 15 minutes way.

Food!

We ate most of our meals at The Blue Bahia Bar and Grill. Meals were consistently excellent. All items were fresh, homemade and large portioned. Servers ranged from excellent to just so-so. Breakfast was included in stay. Not your usual coffee and stale muffins, these were hearty breakfasts with French toast, chorizo, eggs, bacon, fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice etc. Slightly different day to day. Besides eating at The Blue Bahia Bar and Grill, we also at at Bella Napoli (amazing selection of pizzas), Tong's Thai Cuisine, Rotisserie Chicken and Eagle Ray's Bar and Restaurant. We had some wonderful meals and ate lot's of salads and fruits as well. No issues with 'bad food'.

Our Diving Experience with Octopus Dive School

I really wanted to stick with the convenience of a dive shop affiliated with the resort. When researching this dive op there was not much information out there on Tripadvisor and Scubaboard. The owner Nuria was prompt and professional in corresponding with me so I decided to give them a try. They were an excellent choice! The staff was welcoming, professional, safe and great at finding critters. Tanks were consistently filled to 3000 psi. Most dives were about an hour. If a diver ran low on air they were provided a safety sausage while the rest of us could continue our dives. Max number of divers were 7, although most of the time it was much less. One day it was only my husband and I. Antonio the captain was perhaps one of the nicest, most skilled captain's that I have ever encountered when diving. I don't want to beat a dead horse with my sea sickness issue, but it was a major plus having surface intervals on land-usually back at the dive op.

My First Shark Dive...

Octopus Dive School made all the arrangements with and provided the transportation to Roatan Shark Dive. We received a thorough briefing on land inside dive shop. Rules, respect, expectations were all discussed before boarding boat. The boat itself resembles an large, homely bathtub. No canopy, sides of boat high and deep. My guess is the boat is designed as such to handle the rougher open waters. The ride took about 15 minutes from Coxen Hole. The day was clear and the waters smooth(amen!) with minimal current. Being all of 5'3'' it was a total b!tch trying to inch up my backside while deliberately over-weighted to get to the high edge of the boat and backroll off. In retrospect, I probably need to get more comfortable with applying my BCD in the water. That may have been easier. Descending to dive site was exactly as outlined on briefing. Follow tow line down to 70 feet. As I was descending I noticed some of the sharks already swimming around the bottom. I was getting so excited! We all took our positions with our backs against the wall. Immediately I was awe struck and snapping pictures. After a few minutes we could either swim around or just hang out by the wall. I did a little of both. I didn't realize that I would actually be swimming with the sharks! After several minutes were signaled to take our places by the wall and the feeding began. We were a safe distance away from the rubber container with the fish. I have never seen such a frenzy. I know sharks were powerful creatures but this just reiterated that finding. The sharks were reef sharks-no bulls or tigers(thank goodness!).Unfortunately, I did not encounter any grouper on this dive. Apparentely this is unusual. It was over after just a couple of minutes and groups were assigned to ascend. Everything was well organized and supervised.

About Them Bugs...

I applied 20% Picaridin(Made by Bayer, ordered on Amazon) and squirted some lemon and eucalyptus oil on my ankles. I did not suffer from a single sand flea or mosquito bite. Granted, I did not spend much time on the beach. The area around the Blue Bahia pool and restaurant were made of wood. It was a short walk on the beach from the dive op over to the pier. All of our dining was outdoors. Our table at Rotisserie Chicken was on the sand/dirt. I did have a problem with ants but no other bites. My skin reacts badly to DEET-especially in higher concentrations. On other vacations I had a lot of success with Picaridin in the battle against mosquitoes. I bumped it up to the 20% concentration due to all the discussions I have read in reference to sand fleas. It is not sticky or oily. The company claims it is odorless. I disagree with that. While it is no where as pungent as DEET, it does have a (I know, sounds crazy) wet dog smell when using the higher concentrations.

Overall impressions....

I did not have any issues with safety, theft etc. The people we encountered were friendly and helpful. At the risk of sounding like an ugly tourist, there definitely was a language barrier. Many people struggled or were unable to speak English. I wish I was better prepared and studied some basic Spanish skills. Fortunately, with writing and gestures(not the bad kind!) we were able to get around without any issues. Nobody tried to rip us off or sell us a time share. I regret not doing a canopy/zip line tour. Time and energy after diving ran short.

Last but not least...

Prior to our vacation I was in contact with Clinica Esperanza. I offered to bring down some supplies. We brought down some dressing supplies, antibiotic ointment and batteries. It is amazing how well these things tuck into fins, mask, corners of suitcase etc. It was a piece of cake delivering these items. I would encourage anybody to do this. It is so easy to just see the resort part of the island. After walking around and talking to people who lived on the island, the poverty is a sad reality. Despite these hardships, I was amazed at how happy and friendly the children were.

Nice report, thanks. I know they are all a little different but care to rank/compare Roatan, Cozumel, Saba, Grand Cayman and Curacao? Of that group I've been to Curacao, Cozumel and Grand Cayman and am thinking about Roatan and Saba so I'd be interested in some more comparisons, both underwater and topside.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a good trip report. Someone was just in this forum looking for info on Octopus... shoulda' told 'em to answer their e-mails!

Our Diving Experience with Octopus Dive School...I really wanted to stick with the convenience of a dive shop affiliated with the resort. When researching this dive op there was not much information out there on Tripadvisor and Scubaboard....

What was the dive schedule daily and throughout the week? Departure times for the boats, number of tanks, number of offered dives, etc?

Nice report, morecowbells, thanks! Glad to hear your 20% picaridin worked. We've got a fair stash of non-TSA-friendly 20% DEET spray, which I'll probably ziploc & put in checked baggage (and topical antihistamine ointment too).

Nice report, thanks. I know they are all a little different but care to rank/compare Roatan, Cozumel, Saba, Grand Cayman and Curacao? Of that group I've been to Curacao, Cozumel and Grand Cayman and am thinking about Roatan and Saba so I'd be interested in some more comparisons, both underwater and topside.

It is difficult to really rank some of these locations because I feel like I am not comparing apples to apples. Here are a couple of my observations:

Cozumel. Pros: You have awesome walls, swim throughs and a variety of sea life from macro to Giant groupers. Numerous places to eat ranging from budget to elegant. Cons: Some coral damage from Wilma, currents can be rippping, not much for shore dives. Pushy time share sharks. You can get the occasional Norte' which can result in a loss of diving days. Any more I avoid Coz during the months of Dec. and Jan. A lot of dives canceled due to inclement weather. Water and surface cooler than I like.

Curacao. Shore dive paradise. No currents. Excellent vis. More eel spottings in a single day of diving than an entire trip at other places. Temps are fairly consistent year round. Not prone to hurricanes or cold fronts. Cons: Flights can be pricey. Island plagued with auto break ins and theft. We have been cautious and followed the recommendations made by others. Leave car unlocked and leave behind no valuables. No swim throughs, no pelagic life, a lot of juvenile marine life lacking large, mature adults. Stayed on North West end of island. Limited topside activities and places to eat.

Grand Cayman. Excellent shore diving. Most boat dives are less than 15 minutes from shore. Large schools of fish, although of the smaller variety. Quick and easy to get to. Lots of turtles, tarpon and smaller eels. Occasional swim throughs and pinnacles (Eagle Ray Alley). Cons: Can get hit with some chilly systems from the north. Expensive. Expensive. and did I mention expensive?

Saba. By far my favorite location topside. Dramatic hills and rain forest. An eco-adventure dream. Excellent hiking. Surprisingly good restaurants considering how small this island really is. Friendly locals. I like to think of it as Maui without the Disneyfication. Healthy and vibrant coral. Short boat rides. Saw turtles, eels and tarpon. Cons: We went during some foul weather activity. Vis was not optimal. Not as many fish as the above areas mentioned. No shore dives. Absolutely no beaches. Can be challenging to get to.

Roatan. Lush and hilly topside. Coral is vibrant and healthy. Variety of lodging options(bare bones to luxury), larger pelagic sea life present. Saw grouper and snapper on every dive. You have the option of shark a dive. Plenty of top side activities which is especially appealing if there is a non-diver in your group. Great restaurants and selection of places to eat. Cons: Visibility was not the greatest. Variety and quantity of fish not as abundant. Flights are expensive and often only one day a week. Check in at the Roatan airport is ridiculously slow and inefficient. If you do not allow yourself plenty of time you are totally screwed. Lots and lots of lionfish.

I would definitely return to any of these places. Although, Grand Cayman being the least likely. It is simply cost prohibitive. Curacao probably still ranks as #1 due to the warmer temps and shore diving freedom.
5405753354_a5909eb269_z.jpg

5405749184_a9d839f639_z.jpg

5405059174_d486ca336d_z.jpg

Roatan Man, We did the 9am and 11 am dives. A 1 pm dive was also offered. One thing that I thought was odd was how chilly the water was. Most dives averaged around 77 degrees. One dive at The West End actually read 74 degrees on my computer:confused:. I believe Octopus covers all the dive sites. Our first day of diving was going to be moved to Flowers Bay due to rough weather on the West side. Unfortunately, that was scrapped because it was impossible to get to due the roads closure related to the triathlon. We ended up doing a 3 pm dive on the west end.

How did you communicate with Octopus? I have been having no luck contacting them, and will be staying right next to where you did. I have not called yet, but have emailed, faxed, and facebooked.

How did you communicate with Octopus? I have been having no luck contacting them, and will be staying right next to where you did. I have not called yet, but have emailed, faxed, and facebooked.

They emailed me yesterday, so problem solved

Thanks for the great trip report. I have never stayed at Blue Bahia but have eaten there several times. The food and service at his restaurant are top notch.

Great detailed trip report. Thank you for posting it. Its good that Blue Bahia worked out for you. There's a lot to be said for a smaller place, where you are not on a cattle boat. I usually stop there to eat and chat with Kent when I go down west. Its the only place in Roatan where you can get really good onion rings. Yep, not real healthy, but so yum....

Thanks for the great trip report. We are making our first trip to Roatan in April. Great to read of your comparisons of other locations. We've been to Bonaire once, Cozumel 3 times and Florida Keys 3 times. Looking forward to doing the shark dive!!!

Approximately how long was the shark dive - from decent to ascent?

Back
Top Bottom