Trip Report Trip report from our 3rd visit to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for report. WHat were water temps?
With the exception of one dive which was 78, all other dives were 76. Even with my 5 mm wetsuit, I was getting chilly.

With the exception of one dive which was 78, all other dives were 76. Even with my 5 mm wetsuit, I was getting chilly.

Wow. I've never been to Bonaire, but that sounds a lot colder than I would have thought. Is that the norm for this time of year?

Wow. I've never been to Bonaire, but that sounds a lot colder than I would have thought. Is that the norm for this time of year?
I was on the island the same week a few years back and it was a couple degrees warmer. I think 78 is usually as cool as it gets. I was seeing 77 or less all week a few weeks back.

I might join you, my friend. I get off work with zero PTO cost from the 24th of December until January 2nd. Keep me posted if you decide to pull the trigger. Also, I am looking forward to your Philippines report when you get back from there.
I will definitely let you know. As of Thursday they were still good on availability. I had to pass on the Philippines trip as it really didn't work around my work schedule. The shop owner was still trying to lure me last week but I could not fit it in. I love diving in that part of the world but the time change kicks my butt for three weeks afterwards and I need to be on my game this time of the year. I did grab a spot that Aggressor had on sale for a quick solo mission to the Turks and Caicos in May. I haven't been there before and figure they could use some post storm love.

Thanks for report. WHat were water temps?
Water temps were interesting, to say the least. When we arrived in mid-Jan, they were 82-83 down to at least 120 ft and we thought things were heading toward a summer high temp disaster. But during the first week of Feb., there was a lot of rain (more than anyone could remember at that time of year). Causal? I don't know, but the water temp dropped to 78-79.

The other odd thing that happened was that for our entire 5 wk vis. was only fair by Bonaire standards and downright poor during the first week of Feb. A large part of the problem stemmed from medium rolling surge causing bottom churning along the west shore despite westerly winds at 23-26 mph most of the time. Don't know where the surge came from, but it was pretty persistent and annoying because of the consequent shoreline waves that made entries and exits very difficult in addition to contributing the vis problems.

I just scrolled through my computer, pretty consistent 76. We were there the week of 2/17

My trip report would not be complete without assaulting you with some amateur video taken using my old Sealife camera.

Any idea what is in the porcupine fish's mouth at ~5:20 in the video?

Any idea what is in the porcupine fish's mouth at ~5:20 in the video?
By the sound and look of it, I think it was some sort of crustacean. Definitely a mouth full:wink:

Hi @morecowbells

If the sea conditions would have been calmer, what do you think you would say about the quality of the dive on the house reef, Lighthouse Point? My wife and I do a considerable number of dives, day and night on our house reef, the ease of diving and the quality of the site is quite important to us.

Do you know where you have to go to catch a Dive Friends boat while staying at Delfin's? Is there a shuttle or do you drive? Did you hear anything more about the Delfins' pier?

Thanks

Hi @morecowbells

If the sea conditions would have been calmer, what do you think you would say about the quality of the dive on the house reef, Lighthouse Point? My wife and I do a considerable number of dives, day and night on our house reef, the ease of diving and the quality of the site is quite important to us.

Do you know where you have to go to catch a Dive Friends boat while staying at Delfin's? Is there a shuttle or do you drive? Did you hear anything more about the Delfins' pier?

Thanks
I have not heard a clear answer on when the pier is supposed to be installed. At the resort there were some jetty's with a palapa and table. If there were stairs mounted on the sides of these structures, it would make a big difference in mitigating the intensity of entrance and exit. The swim out to the reef was typical of your southern shore diving sites, definitely longer than Hamlet, Front Porch or Bari. While diving Lighthouse Reef, I came across a nice big, fat green moray, the only one I spotted this vacation. I would try this site again, however, even in the best conditions, in full disclosure, I don't think it would be on par with Bari Reef or Hamlet Oasis.

Once the pier is installed, I believe there will be dive boat pick up at the resort. Until then, they have been offering shuttle service to Port Bonaire. We did not do any boat dives. One look at the rough seas and I knew my sea sickness would get the best of me. One plus with the location of Delfins is the 5 minute drive to the Salt Pier. After dive, we would simply drive back to resort while leaving gear in truck, use facilities, change into dry swimsuit, re-hydrate, eat lunch, and drive 5 minutes to the next dive site. In a perfect would, I would be thrilled to change out wetsuits into a dry one during this surface interval, my husband rolls his eyes at this suggestion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom