Trip Report from boat dive off Fl west coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabanker

Registered
Reaction score
Today went on my first boat dive and learn several things some good some bad. Let's start with the good I didn't get seasick even though the water was choppy :) took non-drowsy dramine the night before and made sure I ate thanks from reading suggestion on how to avoid seasickness here.
I want to thank whoever suggested getting the book Certified divers handbook by clay colman I read the suggestions he gave on boat diving and helped tremendously. One suggestion don't get on dive boat till divemaster invites you on board which we did and then he said start setting up your gear and to watch the more experienced divers and follow what they did so i did especially this one gentleman and told him we were new took us under his wing half way out told us to go ahead and get at least skin on and get fins and mask out.
Then we got to the site divemaster briefed us and i waited to see if they mention about the diver recall if something happen they didnt and after briefing asked him to the side if an emergency happen and they needed to recall people back to boat what was thier system kind looked at me strange and said would bang on the ladder three times underwater and worse case send someone down to round everyone up.
Thier was a group of 10 people taking thier certification dive with lds and they said to let the certified divers go first so we did I held on my mask reg in mouth and held on to computer and did a giant stride right into the water they said I did it like i had been doing it for years yeah :) .
Ok this is when it get bad being only back from bonaire 2 weeks now look down and utoh to my surprise I see nothing but water with grit floating around and see no bottom . while in bonaire on last dive coming from shore wave knocked me and i was stepping on step and fell and landed on ankle graceful I am not :) . I started to go down the line kicking to go down and ankle started throbbing and I remember what someone said on thread to me about trip to keys if something is not right dont push it is better to call the dive with having only 5 to 10 stretching that fig with bum foot so I swam back to boat and got back on . Found buddy for hubby and got to meet the dive boat staff and learn about them so was to me not a lost .
When hubby got on boat said water temp was 85 and was not much to see on huge grouper and were lots of huge jelly fish. and vis sucked. So we moved to new sight called the veterens had three boats sunken had hubby go out first to see if worth trying again said same type of vis and really not much to see. Even though I did not get to dive I did learn some things one is diving florida on the gulf side pretty much sucks and that we are going to have to learn where to go on east coast and do spring diving.
I also learn even though you dont dive for whatever reason you can still have fun on the boat and that I still had a very enjoyable day I met some nice people and gained some knowledge from them. I have nothing but praise for the dive instructor he was wonderful with his students plus it just so happens it is where we bought our equipment from and they have a indoor pool and offered that after work or on weekends when thier was no classes I could make use of the pool and just practice practice my skills to get more comfortable and he said what makes him a good diver is not how many years he has been teaching but its from practicing the basic skills constantly from teaching students. I am going to take him up on his suggestion and go to pool and just practice taking off mask all equipment till I can do it with eyes clothes and feel no stress at all from doing it like its second nature plus take aow and dive as much as i can.
sorry for being so long winded

Where specifically did you dive?

I dive Panama City and while it can't be called world class I almost always have nice, relaxing dives with stuff to see. I guess that's Florida West Coast...

Robin

I dove off the coast of clearwater fl

At least you got in the water. Clearwater isnt the best diving location, but that can be good, becuase youll see things a lot of people dont. Glad you had fun.

scubabanker:
Even though I did not get to dive I did learn some things one is diving florida on the gulf side pretty much sucks...
:( I dive Panama City and Destin/Ft Walton a few times a year and not had too bad a problem. Atleast I never thought it sucked :( Of course I've never been to Bonaire either, so that may be part of the problem :wink: Maybe you should try the Gulf out up this way some time :)

Who did you dive with?

My experience in the Gulf off Destin has been awesome. There was a small issue with jellyfish between 15 & 45 feet, but clear past that. I have only been diving about a month, but the Miss Louise, Janet, and Phoenix were awesome wrecks. The Destin Jetties has lots of shells, but make sure you only go during high tide for the best visibility. Hopefully the weather will be nice Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Some of us have to work...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom