Trip Report - Empire Mica 7 June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We departed Hydrospace aboard Island Diver at 0630 for the four hour ride to the Mica. Seas were delightfully calm, with scattered showers on the way, but no rain at the Mica itself. Enroute, one of the LORAN stations took a hit and went down, and as the Island Diver didn't have an operable GPS (bet they do now!), we began a search with a single LORAN line and the depth gauge - as the Gulf is sloping very gently in the area, it took awhile to find the Mica and get tied in.
Hit the water a bit after 11; visibility about 40-60 feet - not as good as it had been off Pensacola the week before but pretty nice. We descended through a virtual layer of barracuda, stacked like cordwood about 20' - some of 'em big old boys, too... to the deck at 70' - and the thermocline, water temp dropping from a balmy 80 to a bracing 67. A slight current running bow to stern.
There's less of her left now than last year - probably no more than 60-80 feet of deck near the stern supported by a hull getting paper thin. Still, the spare prop is topside and quite impressive. Dropping off the aft edge of the remaining hull, I drifted on down to the three huge boilers, the main shaft and the rudder post - an area heavily damaged during salvage of the solid brass prop (now on display outside Captain Anderson's restaurant in Panama City). I was looking for a little meat, and shot a reasonably nice snapper to take with me for supper the following evening at Vortex - clipped him off to the anchor line and explored the rubble field for a bit before working my way up to the deck again. I was gratified to see at least six Jewfish ranging from a baby (probably only 40-50 pounds) up to a five footer that probably topped 300. Last year I didn't see any.
Back up the line, I had a wee bit of concern bringing my snapper through the 'cuda mob, but they just ignored me.
Total dive time 45 minutes; max depth 112' on EAN32.
After the unexpected thermocline - I'd been out of Perdido the previous weekend in 100' where the temp never got below 75 - I put on my little hooded vest under my 5 mil for the next dive.
Back in at 1350, the Lovely Young Kat & I spent the entire dive amongst the boilers and associated machinery, enjoying the myriad critters while trying to identify all the parts in the rubble. Kat spotted a reticulated Moray, an eel not very common and a nice find. A thoroughly enjoyable dive... Dive time 35 minutes, max 109' on EAN32.
While we were down Shannon, the boat captain, had fired up the grill on the stern of Island Diver, and had steaks ready to go on as we surfaced - by the time we'd changed tanks and gotten out of wetsuits, the rare ones were coming off. We'd brought baked potatoes, salad, fruit, bread, all the fixin's & trimmin's, and enjoyed a delightful cookout before starting the trip back to Panama City.
On the way back in, we stopped at Bridge Span 11 (the old Hathaway bridge had 14 spans which were sunk as artifical reefs when it was replaced - each is about 180' long with cantilevered framing rising about 35' above the old roadbed) for a third dive. The fish life here was abundant and delightful... 37 minutes, max 105' on EAN32.
As we headed into the sunset towards Panama City, a monster storm was breaking up in the west; the resulting panoply of color and light and cloud as the sun set was absolutely spectacular, and a fitting end to another marvelous wondrous awesome terrific fun delightful diving day in the Gulf of Mexico.
Rick :) :) :)

Very nice report. :)

~SubMariner~

Great report. I hope to dive the Mica before she breaks up entirely. That is a long boat ride, but there's really nobody closer that i would go out with.

Nice report. I haven't been on the Empire Mica in nearly 20 yrs. It saddened me a bit to learn she's falling apart.

Hydrospace (sometimes I still call it Tom's), has been a consistantly well run operation since I first went on a dive with them way back in 1976. I still try to hook up with them whenever we're in Panama City, although I've learned there are a few other good operations running out of there now.

Hey, that reminds me, I'll be there in about a week, camping at St. Andrews! Now, if only I can talk my wife into letting me go for an entire day and not just for a half day trip.

Of course, on some of these vacations, I'm lucky to get a solo dive in off the jetties (which aren't bad, btw. The channel is now 70' or more, and on my last dive there I saw more grouper than ever before. I think I'm bringing my camera this trip.)

One thing does bother me, though. What the heck were they doing without a backup nav system on the boat? A good GPS is very cheap and very accurate. Heck, I carry a Garmin GPSMAP 76S in my gear bag on long trips, sometimes just to mark favorite dive spots. I'm surprised that HydroSpace was running a boat that poorly equipped. I know that they contract these cap'ns and boats, so maybe that was a minor oversight. Heck, the rest of your trip sounded great (plus you found the wreck without fully functioning nav, which means you had a skilled skipper/crew.)

BTW, about 9 or 10 years back, I experienced a similar problem on a livaboard trip out of Sabine Pass, headed to the Flower Gardens. We made it 100' miles out, only to learn that not only did the Loran not work, the Captain forgot to bring coordinates for park. We cruised around aimlessly for hours in 400' of water, before giving up and stopping off at some nearby rigs. I never went with that operation again, although I got half my money back and 9 good dives over 2 days.)

Originally posted by Rockhound
One thing does bother me, though. What the heck were they doing without a backup nav system on the boat?
Oh, they had two LORANs on the boat... the problem was with the shore stations, and we just happened to be in a part of the Gulf where it's really hard to lock in a third station should one go down.
They'll have GPS the next time I go with 'em (Saturday)... 'cause it'll be in my dive gear bag.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom