Trip Report Cozumel Palace & Blue~XT Sea Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rje634

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well this has been our sixth trip to Cozumel so it is about time that I wrote a trip report. I have been reading everyone else’s on the board and have gotten some great information and tips. I figure it is my turn to contribute.
We stayed at the Cozumel Palace and it didn’t disappoint. Everyone on the board always seems to rave about it and now we know why. The service was impeccable, the employees really go the extra mile to make sure everything is perfect. Our transportation to and from the airport was taken care of by the Palace. When we arrived at the Palace we were greeted by champagne and cool towels. From check in to check out every aspect of the Palace was perfect. The food was very good and plentiful, for dinner there are 3 specialty restaurants Asian, Mexican, and Italian and all were very good. For breakfast and lunch there was the buffet the choices were good and the food was good, about the only criticism is that 7 days in the same place did get a little repetitive. There was also the pool grill during the day and at night there was an outdoor grill and buffet where you could eat dinner and watch the nightly entertainment. The shows at night weren’t the best but they were mildly entertaining. There was a pool area and a man made beach, there was a snorkel area just off shore that is roped off to protect you from boat traffic. The rooms were clean spacious and everything worked, the two person Jacuzzi tub in the room which not only was great for relaxing but it also came in handy for rinsing dive gear! The only drawback to the room was that the hallways are marble and from within the room you can hear people in the hall walking by. Another bonus to the Palace was that we were able to use the facilities at the Playacar Palace in Playa Del Carmen, we could use the pools, the restaurants, and the rest of their facilities.
As we do on every trip to Coz we dove with Blue XT~Sea Diving. As always Christi and her crew didn’t disappoint. The only problem was the first day we got blown out by an El Norte, oh well no helping that. We had Mago and Adan as our captains, and our DM’s were Juan, Arturo, and Adam (or it may have been Alan) All were great DM’s which has become expected when diving with Christi’s crew which are all very courteous and very professional. We dove in order San Francisco Reef, Paradise Reef, Palancar Caves, Tormentos, Palancar Bricks, Dalila, Paradise Reef (night dive), Santa Rosa Wall, and Yucab. We saw lots of turtles, eels, stingrays, splendid toadfish, octopus, lobsters, crabs, and oh yes my first seahorses. I saw two seahorses on Paradise reef during the night dive, so the little contract that Christi has with the local seahorses is alive and well. Seriously Adam found us two seahorses on our night dive, I was thoroughly impressed. It’s hard enough to find seahorses during the day, and he found them at night!!
We also got our vacation massages from Sally aka Barefoot in Cozumel. What can I say except we both wish Sally lived close to us so we could see her more often. I guess we’ll just have to go to Coz again. Sally I got your email with the tips, thank you, if you have any more feel free to send them along.
Also we were there for the first half of Carnival, we didn’t get to see the parades (no big loss, we saw all of them last year) but we did get to see the roving dancers and singers and the festivities in the square at night. If you’re a Cozumel regular you should go for Carnival at least once to experience it, it is a lot of fun.
We had a great trip thanks to Christi, Sally, Palace, and the wonderful people of Cozumel.
web8.jpg
web7.jpg

web6.jpg
web51.jpg

web41.jpg
web9.jpg

web11.jpg
web21.jpg

web31.jpg
web10.jpg

web12.jpg
web1.jpg

Nice photos! Many thanks for your kind words. I think I'll pass on moving closer to NY though, as my tolerance for cold weather is non-existent. How DO you guys get through it???

Nice photos! Many thanks for your kind words. I think I'll pass on moving closer to NY though, as my tolerance for cold weather is non-existent. How DO you guys get through it???

Sally,
Your quite welcome, as far as the weather goes, we tolerate it (just barely!!). The changes in seasons is beautiful but we'll probably be heading to a warmer area one of these years...

As far as the pics thank you all for the kudos. As soon as a finish going through them all I'll post more of the good ones.
My setup is a Canon SD550 with the Canon housing and a Sea&Sea YS-15 strobe.

Awesome pics and I really liked my stay at the Palace as well this last summer and I am looking for another go around.
I think I'll try Blue XT this time around they look to have a bit smaller op. and don't carry as many on their boats. What was the max. on each boat?

Nice report and Pics... especially the Juvenile Drum... how did you get the sucker to hold still for you?

Great report. Thanks for sharing the photos! Especially the toadfish! Hope to see one of those in the upcoming months!!!!

Awesome pics and I really liked my stay at the Palace as well this last summer and I am looking for another go around.
I think I'll try Blue XT this time around they look to have a bit smaller op. and don't carry as many on their boats. What was the max. on each boat?

The most we had on the boat was 6 but there were a few days where there were just 5. On one trip way back we had a day when it was just me and my wife, it was the Dec after Wilma but it was quite an experience to have our own private charter without the charter prices. Give Christi and her crew a chance, their top notch.

driftin' by:
Nice report and Pics... especially the Juvenile Drum... how did you get the sucker to hold still for you?
Wasn't easy, I took about 10 shots and that was the best. They seem to have an uncanny ability to turn away just when you take the shot!!

sarita75:
Great report. Thanks for sharing the photos! Especially the toadfish! Hope to see one of those in the upcoming months!!!!
Thanks. I think you'll stand a good chance of seeing some, this trip I saw more toadfish than on any other trip. Do a night dive and you'll get the chance to hear them croaking, yes they make a croaking noise. Enjoy your trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom