Trip Report Trip Report: Cenotes in Tulum with Playa Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Dos Ojos was dives 5 and 6 for me, after I got my OW certification. There were 2 different routes there. We did them both. The 2nd one we did was called the Bat Cave. Your description sounds exactly like the dive we did. My dive had a max of 30 feet and was a total of 48 minutes, with a bit over 6 minutes of that being on the surface, inside the Bat Cave, about half way through the dive.

The first one was, I think, called The Barbie Line. But, both dives were in the Dos Ojos cenote.

So, there are two Bat Cave dives in that area? Or maybe you came into the same Bat Cave from a different start/end point?

Whaaa? So I *did* dive one of the Dos Ojos??? Bat Cave was listed separately from "Dos Ojos" on the small white board listing the possible cenote dives at Playa. I guess I stand corrected. I dove Dos Ojos, the Bat Cave line?!

Perhaps their usual route through Dos Ojos is different, and that's why Klaus called it the Bat Cave and not Dos Ojos???

Well, coolio. Nick said Dos Ojos was a favorite (he only did El Eden with us this time) and I got to see it and didn't even realize it.

My experience was as Stuart described: We entered the cenote known as Dos Ojos--very developed, with paved paths, full of snorkelers, etc.--and at some point in the middle of the dive we surfaced in a large pocket known as the Bat Cave, looked around, and continued the dive, ending where we had started.

Maybe when they list Dos Ojos and Bat Cave separately it is to distinguish between the Barbie Line (calling it Dos Ojos) and the Bat Cave line. At this point, maybe Barbie has even left Dos Ojos....

That's what i was thinking. They both were great dives. I think the pit was a little ahead of my scuba learning curve for me so i may have to head back there one day to enjoy it better. i think it was my 7th open water dive...

I'm in Tulum for 4nights in June after a week diving in Cozumel. I done Dos Ojos before. Angelita was on my radar, but ,after reading your report I'm going with the Pit.
This is what I'm thinking: Day one El Eden, Day two, Mama Vina wreck/reef dive, Day 3 The Pit, Day 4 Dreamgate. My gear will have a good freshwater rinse before heading to the state.

Back
Top Bottom