Trip Report - Catalina Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajcf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Spent two nights on the Long Beach / Catalina Liveaboard -- the Sand Dollar this weekend. The water was seasonably warm (around 68 degrees at the surface and about 55 degrees at 165 feet. Thermoclines around 55 feet and 90 feet. Visibility was fantastic. And, it was opening night for lobster season. Midnight Lobster Dive was a highlight of the trip. On the last day, we hit an anchoring platform for the Docking station ????? at 162 feet just north of Blue Cave. Great technical dive!

The Sand Dollar may not be the prettiest boat in the fleet, but she is full of character. The Sand Dollar is extremely well run, clean, has a great-personable crew, and is well worth the short money it cost to head out for a weekend of great diving. I might also add, they bank 60 percent - mix 32%, tech (trimix) friendly, and the food was INCREDIBLE. Did I mention the food ... WOW. Six meals a day.

I'd also like to thank the DiveLizard for organizing the folks for the trip. He and the Mrs. did a great job. The group of people were high caliber divers and a lot of fun. He also kept the load at 18 people, which is perfect for that boat.

Met a lot of great friends and long term dive buddies. I am definitely looking forward to the next trip. Hope we will see more SBers on that one.

jcf

/////

On their home page, they call it "Our beloved Sand Dollar".
They also say it accomodates 31 divers, but I know that Truth also says their boats hold 42, and 25 is a good number to dive with on those as well. If you're comfortable with 18, I'd hate to see 31 with all the gear on deck from new divers. It must look like a dive shop exploded.

What was the cost? I'm looking at less-expensive alternatives to Truth Aquatics (they're great boats, and wonderful diving BTW, but it's a full day driving there, and then back, so a 500 dollar 3-dayer with tip, gas, and meals up and back sets you back a grand almost) and diving the southern channel islands.
Plus, I wouldn't mind diving with you again. It's been what, five years since we've dove together?

They also say it accomodates 31 divers, but I know that Truth also says their boats hold 42, and 25 is a good number to dive with on those as well. If you're comfortable with 18, I'd hate to see 31 with all the gear on deck from new divers. It must look like a dive shop exploded.

What was the cost? I'm looking at less-expensive alternatives to Truth Aquatics (they're great boats, and wonderful diving BTW, but it's a full day driving there, and then back, so a 500 dollar 3-dayer with tip, gas, and meals up and back sets you back a grand almost) and diving the southern channel islands.
Plus, I wouldn't mind diving with you again. It's been what, five years since we've dove together?

The Sand Dollar has always been an privately owned (not SS) boat, that is chartered by MANY dive shops, most of which are from CA, Scuba Sciences is just one of the out of state charters, and have been using it for more than 20 years. I have been on the boat many times with 31 divers, and a couple with 33, it's crowded but doable. The trips with 12-16 are much nicer, but not very profitable for the shop doing the charter, and we all know what happens when the shop doesn't make enough profit.:D

Scuba Sciences doesnt own the Sand Dollar. Its just 'their boat of choice', the only boat they use. And a fine boat it is too. I've been on it many times with 28-32 divers and it actually is better sometimes with more people than less. I find that with less people they tend to scatter their stuff around more than when alot of people are on boat. That being said, I do prefer it with less than 20 as it makes eating/sleeping better.
I'm looking forward to an upcoming trip on it myself! (hint...hint... :) )

dang...john types faster than I

I assumed they were connected somehow.
I've been on the truth with a full load, and it ain't pretty. Not sleeping, not eating, not diving. Limited loads, up to around 25 or so (approx 60% or capacity) it's very comfy. But, ya get what ya pay for. It's cheaper by quite a bit to do the full load trips.
So, the good news is we can charter that thing up and do a limited-load trip by ourselves, then. I'm in if you guys set up another trip. How much was it per person, and how many days/nights did you do?
The 32 would make it more diveable than the truth boats. I'm always hitting ndl after the second dive with an AL 100.
How's their charter schedule look for the winter?
Anybody got a website to the boat?

It was a great time and definitely going back soon. I hate to quote prices, because you never know what the next coordinator will charge, but it was less than the $500 charged by Truth.

I really liked George, who I believe is the owner. I also liked how tech friendly and savvy these guys were.

I would say, I don't think I would be interested in a full boat. 60% limited load seemed like the right mix for me. :D .... I'd pay the extra money to have a lighter load.

It hasn't been five years .... has it :confused:

and maybe my son and I will do it with you.
It's been at least three years - last trip IIRC we did together was on Horizon out of Long Beach.
We might have done a Truth trip after that, but I'm not sure. But definitely more than three years.

My wife and I really love the Sand Dollar (food). The boat (food) is really geared toward everyone getting their fill of diving (food). You'll get more great diving (food) on the Sand Dollar than other boats in the area. If they are anchored, the ramp (galley) is open for diving (eating). Capt George (owner) and his crew really know how to treat (feed) divers. Tips never feel like an obligation on the Sand Dollar because you'll know you've been treated (fed) by a smiling crew who truly enjoy their responsibilities (cooking).

Up until now I haven't mentioned the food, but you may be feeling a subliminal interest in their menu. If you have any question about the food......don't. It is included in the price and is plentiful, delicious, and surprisingly varied. We've only been on one trip on the Sand Dollar, but we're spoiled.

and maybe my son and I will do it with you.
It's been at least three years - last trip IIRC we did together was on Horizon out of Long Beach.
We might have done a Truth trip after that, but I'm not sure. But definitely more than three years.

It was the Encore in November 2005.
We were going to do the Truth last Fall, but I had to back out for family reasons.

Three years .... you're getting old buddy.

somebody told me that all the diet pepsi I drink with aspartame will give me memory loss, but I forgot who that was....:rofl3:
Three years ago? Just looked at my log book. You're right, I was on the Encore in November, bug hunting with Kyle.
Damn, you made an old man feel older:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom