Trip Report Cabo Pulmo Aug. 5th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manitou diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I returned Tuesday from a quick week to Cabo for some beach time. Since I've been diving there the past six summers at the same time of year, I wasn't as enthusiastic about the diving after reading the trip report from July 24th. I was also remembering the great dives I had in Cozumel in January. Last year after driving up to Cabo Pulmo for the day, there was no diving due to the low viz. I did make it diving one day but there were pretty strong currents and fairly murky water which didn't make for great pictures. So I packed the bag and took most of my gear deciding to leave behind the BCD and the camera housing thinking maybe I would at least get in a couple of dives. My expectations were not very high.

In calling around to check on local dives, the Cabo shops were basically going to Pelican Rock/Sand Falls. Currents were making Lands End off limits so I decided to call up to Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort and check on conditions. Much to my surprise, they had 70' viz and reported siting a whale shark just a couple of days earlier. Did that get my attention!! Since I've yet to see one I decided to take my chances and dove on Sunday, August 5th to Los Moros and El Bajo with Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort.

I wish I could report seeing that whale shark but no such luck. I did however see more fish than I have ever seen in any two dives. Do I wish I had taken the camera. The currents were fairly tame and there were lots and lots of fish to see. Right off the back we saw five morey eels freely swimming. There were large groupers, some beautiful drum fish, large schools of jack and some other game fish I didn't recognize, what I'm guessing were dorado, several very large lobsters, a cornetfish, large parrot fish, angelfish, damsel fish, porcupine fish, some garden eels and some small rays.
I know there were many more varieties that I'm not remembering.

It was certainly the best day of diving I've had at Cabo Pulmo even without the whale shark. It was a very full "aquarium". Next time I'll take the camera!

Happy Diving! :D

Nancy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom