Trip report: British Virgin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would you rate the diving in the BVI versus Belize or Bahamas?
I've been to Virgin Gorda with DiveBVI multiple years, and went to San Pedro in Belize once. I really like both. Turneffe Elbow in Belize was great, with dolphins, big schools of jacks, wall with a good dropoff, spotted eagle ray... In general, a bit fishier though it's a long boat ride out there and back from San Pedro. The dives closer to San Pedro are really nice too, but not like Turneffe Elbow. BVI has lots of interesting underwater rock topography (chimney), and some fun wrecks (Rhone, and Chikusen) along with some really neat fishy spots. All in all I think I'd give a very slight edge to Belize on the diving if you include Turneffe Elbow, but as I said both are great. We like Virgin Gorda much more on the topside; it's a nice quiet island, with neat topography and boulders (especially near the Baths). San Pedro/Ambergris Caye is much busier.

I did a week-long liveaboard in Palau in May which was just amazing; the diving there certainly tops both BVI and Belize. Even so, I am also really looking forward to my next trip to Virgin Gorda!

Thanks for a great trip report. We have always thought about sailing and diving BVI.

I just got back from 10 days of bareboating/fishing/diving/yacht racing in the BVIs. Myself and 6 friends had a 42 ft. catamaran to ourselves the entire time and could go anywhere we pleased. Minimal experience is required and the trip is one that has topped all other travelling that I have done thus far in my life!

I'll be writing a full report in the coming days but for those who are interested Tortola Marine Management chartered the yacht to us and were absolutely fantastic in every way. I will certainly be taking another trip through them in the near future as they have operations in the BVIs, Belize and the Grenadines.

~Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom