Trip report Bonaire July 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe K.

Registered
Reaction score
Spent a week on Bonaire with Buddy Dive resort. Overall it was great!

Transportation
Flew Insel Air from Miami to Curacao then Bonaire. Flights went well, aside from the fact that all four flights were slightly delayed. The only issue we encountered was with the baggage allowance. We were specifically told by the booking agent and the desk agent at Miami int’l airport, that as divers we could send all 33kg in one bag. This is in fact what we did leaving Miami and had no problem. However, returning from Bonaire we were not allowed to do this and were told our allowance is for 2 bags – one at 22kg and another at 10kg. After a long argument this was resolved by shifting some of the gear to carry-on.

Transportation to Buddy dive was arranged by the resort, so no problems there. The rest of the time we used the trucks included in the dive package. Again, no problems but keep in mind these are stick shift, unless you specifically ask for an automatic (might cost extra – I don’t know). A few things to keep in mind: 1. If you plan on getting your own insurance for the truck – make sure pickup trucks are covered by your policy. This is not always the case. 2. Try getting an old beat up truck. This way nobody will care if it is scratched when you return it :wink:

The island
The Island was very pleasant with temperatures in the high 80’s to mid 90’s. The air is pretty dry and there is always a breeze, so overall this was quite pleasant. You definitely want the A/C working in your room at night. We shopped at one of the local supermarkets for lunch and ate out for dinner. Average cost per person is about 25$ for dinner (alcohol not included). The capital, Kralendijk, has a few nice restaurants and local bars. Overall the food was good and tasty, just be realistic with your expectations – Bonaire is known for its diving, not as a foodie mecca.

Buddy Dive Resort:
Very well run in my opinion. Service was great and rooms clean. Using the house restaurant is a good option which we took advantage of at least for 50% of our dinners.
The diving operation runs smoothly, tanks are readily available and the house reef is nice. Make sure to check the pressure of tanks before checking them out. During rush hours we sometimes got low fills, but nothing too dramatic. Rental equipment is available and in good condition. The DMs on the boat dives wanted us to stick close and follow a 25 minute in each direction dive plan. We ended up skipping about half the boat dives and doing the site as a shore dive. This is obviously not an option when diving Klein Bonaire, but my recommendation would be to use the boat dives only for sites not accessible from shore.

Diving:

Logged 22 dives over 5-1/2 days. These ranged from center to the South and a few boat dives on Klein Bonaire. Visibility was 60-80ft and water temp in the 80-82F range.

The reefs are in great condition, aside form the presence of Lionfish (see my comment further below). We saw turtles, squid, octopus, lobster, eels and many different reef fish species. Did not spot any rays or sharks, but supposedly these can be seen on the East side of the Island.

Highlight sites were La dania’s leap where you jump off a small overhang and swim North, exiting at another great dive site “Karpata”. Alice in Wonderland is very nice with 2 reef ridges. Can be done as 2 separate dives: one going North and the other going South. “Oil slick” is another nice dive and “Nearest point” on Klein Bonaire.

We were planning to do a tech dive on the Windjammer, but in the end decided not to given the cost of the dive (about 250$/person including Gases, permit, guide). We did do one deco dive a bit north of the house reef, which was just o.k., and a longer penetration dive on the Hilma Hooker. We visited the engine room, crew quarters and wheelhouse. Structure is in good condition, minor hazards present and most areas have cut throughs allowing light in. However, there were areas that required lights and negotiation of hazards so do not attempt these dives if you are not trained to do so and have the right equipment.

Comments:

Overall this was a great trip to some of the healthiest reefs I have seen in a while. The island has much to offer from beginner to advanced and I would definitely return to Buddy Dive resort.

The main concern I have is the fact that we saw Lionfish everywhere. I spotted at least 4-5 Lionfish on every single dive. The Island does not seem to have a rationale plan to deal with this. From what we understood the only thing happening is that DMs have permission to spear the fish. However, the presence of DMs is limited to boat dives and, in my opinion, a DM needs to be focused only leading the dive/safety and not spearing. In any case, this plan is not working given the number of Lionfish seen. The authorities on the Island don’t need to invent the wheel. They can have a look at what is being done elsewhere and implement a plan before it is too late. In my opinion, allowing divers to cull Lionfish after a short training session would go a long way. Spearing of other species could be prevented by the imposition of fines, etc.

Thank you for your report. We are Bonaire-bound in seven weeks for the first time and you addressed two areas I have wondered about:
The first is Insel Air's baggage allowance. We are flying American to Curacao and Insel over to Bonaire. I have not been reassured in my attempts to communicate with Insel as regards the company's online assurances that we can increase our weight allowance by expressing in advance that we are carrying dive gear.
The other is in regards to the Hooker. We have no plans to attempt to penetrate as we've not trained in such. Your advice reiterates to me that we'll just cheerfully fin around the outside of the wreck.
Again, thank you!

...keep in mind these are stick shift, unless you specifically ask for an automatic (might cost extra – I don’t know).

It does indeed. I rented one at Buddy Dive on my trip last May; I was told by e-mail the up charge for an automatic was $35/day.

Anybody wanting an automatic better arrange it in advance; sometimes it takes a bit of doing to provide one from what I understand. Don't plan to show up and request one when you arrive.

Richard.

It does indeed. I rented one at Buddy Dive on my trip last May; I was told by e-mail the up charge for an automatic was $35/day.

Anybody wanting an automatic better arrange it in advance; sometimes it takes a bit of doing to provide one from what I understand. Don't plan to show up and request one when you arrive.

Richard.
Automatic? It's not like it's your truck. Drive it like you stole it. If you can't find em, grind em! What's the worst thing that could happen?

Any restaurant recommendations? We love At Sea which we realize is fairly high end.

Just curious: 22 dives, how long was each dive? I am a lazy butt and force my dive buddy to drag out each dive as long as possible. Gearing up takes energy. I tend to ignore her "shiver" signs when we are in 15 feet on the way back to the dock. There are lots of neat macro juveniles that are worth another 20 minutes of bottom time.

P.S. you people make me jealous. Belize at xmas is a long way off.

Any restaurant recommendations? We love At Sea which we realize is fairly high end.

I think we only ate out a couple of times. Once was at Captain Don's which had pretty good pizza. The other time was in town in a place called the Cuban something (?-sorry cant remember the name). The food was good, but did not have anything to do with Cuba...

Just curious: 22 dives, how long was each dive? I am a lazy butt and force my dive buddy to drag out each dive as long as possible. Gearing up takes energy. I tend to ignore her "shiver" signs when we are in 15 feet on the way back to the dock. There are lots of neat macro juveniles that are worth another 20 minutes of bottom time.

Our dive times ranged from 40 to 50 minutes. Plenty to see at 15-20ft.

Thanks for your report Joe K. We were at Habitat in June for the umpteenth time. Boat dives are longer averaging 70 minutes total bottom time. Gear storage is locked with your own lock(bring one). And the restaurant is a little cheaper(we ate at Buddy's once). Between 2 Buns is much better and close by(open til 5pm). I think the house dive at Habitat is a little better as well, especially Cliff to the north from the dive dock. The Hooker boat dive from Habitat was waaay short, air divers 20 minutes back on the boat and nitrox 25; no one "actually" did that, but that's what was briefed. I felt that was a rip, so will do only shore dives there if we get a vehicle in the future...........as you probably have guessed, I think Habitat is a better deal cost per dive wise--except for that great tank pick up at Buddy's. We normally make 6 boats and shore dive out front at Habitat and doing it that way=a better deal! This last trip, we managed to get 2 shore dives south from a friend staying at Buddy's. The Buddy staff has always been great when we stayed elsewhere and did some shore dives at the resort, but the lack of private storage put me off. And now you indicate short boat dive times are the norm--I would be more than pissed!! I simply would not stay there for that reason alone. Where Buddy's shines is shore diving offsite with their drive thru tanking op. btw, our buddy staying there had a manual truck and although he wasn't manual trans trained and killed the motor/gnashed gears a time or 6--it IS a good place to get some manual transmission training for cheap--just don't hold the clutch down on a slope down to water:D

We arrive on Bonaire less than 3 weeks from now. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Everything is all planned except dinner reservations. That is my next activity.

We'll be there on Aug 8th! Second time around. I had the email address of the woman who owned the restaurant we mostly ate breakfast at but she's closed her place. Walking into town from the Divi Flamingo... anybody know of anything in that area food-wise?

Thank you for your report. We are Bonaire-bound in seven weeks for the first time and you addressed two areas I have wondered about:
The first is Insel Air's baggage allowance. We are flying American to Curacao and Insel over to Bonaire. I have not been reassured in my attempts to communicate with Insel as regards the company's online assurances that we can increase our weight allowance by expressing in advance that we are carrying dive gear.
The other is in regards to the Hooker. We have no plans to attempt to penetrate as we've not trained in such. Your advice reiterates to me that we'll just cheerfully fin around the outside of the wreck.
Again, thank you!

We did American and DiviDivi Air a few years ago and Insel all the way as well. Your luggage and carryon limits will be governed by the airlines. DiviDivi for example had a lower weight limit--so we had to use that for all the flights. Insel's website does say a separate bag for the 22lb dive gear exemption--hard to do, but just take an extra folding bag! That's what we did.We went Delta last month and would have had to pay for excess baggage on the trip up to Atlanta from Miami had my wife not had a Delta credit card. We were ok on the Atlanta-Bonaire flight as the rules are different. We each had a 50 lb dive bag, a carryon, and a personal item.

Back
Top Bottom