Trip Report Trip Report: Bonaire- January 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

World of difference for me as well from 78-79 to 80-81. And 82-83, toasty warm.

Great TR, TB! I’m ready to go back myself. Probably solo. Any suggestions on going solo? Where to stay and best way to find dive buddies ?

@Trailboss123 you are absolutely right on the noticeable difference in minor water temp swings. Our friends were in shortys and gloated about how warm it was at 81-82, but got a little cold later in the week when a couple of dive sites were only 79 degrees, and I could definitely feel the difference, but I was in a 3mm full all week and thought it was perfect.

Great TR, TB! I’m ready to go back myself. Probably solo. Any suggestions on going solo? Where to stay and best way to find dive buddies ?

My solo trip to Bonaire last August had me staying at the Courtyard Marriott for 3 of my 4 weeks. No single supplement cost increases. Daily housekeeping, other amenities and fresh towels daily were nice. Of course, I stayed there for free essentially- due to using my Marriott points. Dive Friends is right there on site- rinse tanks, secure gear storage, tanks, boat for boat dives, etc. They have a white board where people can leave messages and find dive buddies.

Dive Friends is also a good dive op for doing a PADI self-reliant dive certification. I did mine with them a number of years ago and loved it. Afterward, you can rent a pony tank and extra reg set up from them and dive solo, if so inclined.

Additionally, if traveling solo to Bonaire, I would look into Air BNB options for accommodations (renting a room from the right person is probably the least expensive option for a single)- and then rent your own truck through Avis, Budget or any of the other rental companies and then do your own tank package through Dive Friends or Wannadive or whoever else suits your fancy. I am a Dive Friends devotee.

Other accommodation locations for singles that I would consider are Hamlet Oasis, Sand Dollar (check out the report from @drrich2).
Black Durgon Inn is another option. Gives you direct shore access to the Small Wall dive site. It is a bit too rustic for my tastes, but clearly works for many others.

Here is my trip report from last August- it might help: Bonaire Trip Report- Entire month of August- 2019

I would anticipate the water warming gradually. You will probably have 80-81 degrees. It is amazing to me how much warmer 81 degrees feels compared to 79 degrees. You would think it is a 5-10 degree difference in terms of comfort and feel.

Nice trip report, Trailboss.

I agree with you that every degree makes a big difference in the diving pleasure. The 79 degrees we have had so far this winter is much more comfortable than the 77-78 at this time last year. But I think your forecast for 80-81 by April is optimistic. My experience has been that it will cool through February and March and maybe in April will be back to what it is in January. I don’t have a crystal ball so it just might warm up above 80 by then but I suspect not. So I would not count on more than 78-79 and plan your neoprene accordingly. Some are happy in shorts at that temperature and some of us lazy divers are in 5mm and hoods, it is up to you. Come in October and it will probably be 82!

Nice trip report, Trailboss.

I agree with you that every degree makes a big difference in the diving pleasure. The 79 degrees we have had so far this winter is much more comfortable than the 77-78 at this time last year. But I think your forecast for 80-81 by April is optimistic. My experience has been that it will cool through February and March and maybe in April will be back to what it is in January. I don’t have a crystal ball so it just might warm up above 80 by then but I suspect not. So I would not count on more than 78-79 and plan your neoprene accordingly. Some are happy in shorts at that temperature and some of us lazy divers are in 5mm and hoods, it is up to you. Come in October and it will probably be 82!

If I told her this, I would have to get her a 5mil. As long as she thinks it's over 80, she'll be warm in her 3mil. It's all mental yanno. :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom