Trip Report August 9-16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Less than three weeks until we are flip-flops on the ground and fins in the water in Bonaire. Yay! Our first trip there. Can anyone comment on Buddy's three-tank trip to Washington Slagbaai Park? We had figured we would just shore dive as this is our first trip there (we'll be there for two weeks and we're staying at Buddy) and it doesn't look like we'll run out of new places to explore. But, I thought an all-day boat trip might make a nice excursion mid-vacation and allow a day of a bit more leisurely diving. Plus, I just really like being on boats. However, this thread has raised some questions for me. Is it hard to get on the three-tank safaris? Are they crowded? Are they worth it -- is the diving that much different in the park? Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The week I was there, I didn't notice a 3-tank boat trip up to the park offered. Has anyone else found that to be the case when they were there? I don't want to claim something bad if I just wasn't paying enough attention...

Richard.

When I was there last week they didn't offer the 3-tank boat trip up to the park either.

Interesting.

I found that the marine life seems to be changing in that over the week, I did not see one Nassau Grouper, Black Grouper, only one Tiger, no rays and very few large animals overall. The reefs look healthy but fewer fish in my opinion, certainly fewer big fish. Every morning there were a number of fishing boats out in front of Capt Don's and Buddy dive right up on the mini wall. Saw boats fishing at Klein as well pretty close to the dive sites. Don't know what STINAPA is doing, but the reefs seem to be getting fished out. I understand the locals need to eat, but from what I observed I think that Marine Conservation Zone is a bit of a misnomer.

Just to correct what appears to be some disinformation, there is absolutely nothing illegal about sport fishing with a rod and reel off the coast of Bonaire. Since STINAPA has the task to enforce marine park rules and regulations, I really don't know what you'd expect them to do regarding a fishing boat. I do it all the time targeting species of mahi mahi, red snapper and wahoo (most of which I've never even seen while diving).

Regarding the 3tank boat safari, I believe it is legend, even myth....

lol, just kidding, all I know is I have encountered tons of people who wanted to do it and hardly anyone who actually has. When we were there this past May/June, the boat was still waiting on a part that it had been waiting on for months. It would not hurt to ask when you get there, just don't get your hopes up. If you like being on boats, you should definitely go out to Klein a couple of times, its really nice diving and not that much extra to check it out.

Vince, you are right. I just looked up STINAPA rules and there are no restricions on traditional fishing.
I'm just sayin that my observation is of fewer fish and more fishing boats right on the reefs than in the past.
You can see the future of this as well as I can.
I guess nothing is what it used to be but I can recall when there were so many fish on the reefs of Bonaire that one got vertigo trying to track them.

Re 3 tank dive, I inquired both this trip and last summer and BD did not offer either time.
I was out on the big catamaran for a one tank local west side dive and it was slow as molasses. Don't know whether they were just conserving fuel or one engine was down. I guess the part still hasn't come in.

I have taken a 3 tank north end trip in the distant past and it was excellent. Too bad not offered now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom