Trip Report - Alabama Point and Whiskey Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Met up with a coworker who is staying in Orange Beach with his family this week on vacation. He kindly put me up on the sofa of the family condo Saturday night, so I didn't have to trek from NO to OB and back in one day.

Hit the jetties a little after 8:15 am and took the last available parking spot at the time. My buddy wanted to borrow tanks, so I brought him my "new" doubled 72's, that I haven't even dived yet. Since he hadn't been diving in quite a while, we took some time to examine and assemble his gear, and go over the dive plan. I expected Shagman and Tom Wicker to show up, but I didn't see them.

Around 9am we headed for the entry point, as we were roasting in the parking lot. Spent a few minutes in the shallows getting acclimated, cooling off and doing final equipment checks. The water on top was very clear (15-25'), and the dive looked promising. There was a slight incoming current, consistent with the expected High tide time.

Descended and started heading South along the rocks. It was pretty clear that the excellent vis on top was not going to last when we got to depth. Vis dropped to a soupy 10-15, and lots of Plant life floating in the water. The jellyfish were out in force, as well, making parts of the dive a dodge-em course. In some places there were groups of 5-10, in other places 1-2 and others, none at all. There were also (apparently) the invisible stinging nematocysts which were responsible for most of my discomfort during this dive. The currents were strange, going from incoming on one section, slack on another, then incoming, slack, outgoing, slack, incoming, and outgoing. We turned the dive near the end of the jetties, due to a strengthening outgoing current, that disappeared after about 20 ft of our turn.

Fish Life: Jellies (duh!), schools of pinfish, blues, a small barracuda, butterflyfish, damsels, blennies, spades, mangrove (or vermillion) snapper, small grouper, soapfish, etc. We came across a HUGE octopus dining on a catfish, and another smaller one, hanging out in a hole. I put my finger outside of his hole, and he shook "tentacle" with it briefly.

Dive time: 70 mins, max depth 30ft, temps in the 80's.

Upon returning to the parking lot, we came across a Rescue class from Downunder whose instructor chatted with ups a while about how she prefers to do the wall to the rocks, and described the debris pile and what she likes to see. Definitely a must-do in the future.

Dive 2 coming up...

Thanks for the report Paulwall... I'm still looking for the Whiskey Wreck portion?!

Sounds like the jellyfish are atleast managable :D

Dive 2 - Whiskey Wreck.

Arrived onsite at the Whiskey Wreck and luckily was able to find a spot next to the boardwalk. We were basically going to burn the rest of our first tanks, so planned a surface swim out, and back, and putz around on the wreck for as long as we wanted.

Another group was already geared up and heading to the water when we got out of the truck. We geared up and began the walk (BTW, my buddy constantly complained about the weight of the double 72's, I thought about Bugman's double 130's and snickered). Because we were only starting with 1/2 tanks, I strapped on my pony, JIC.

The other group were dawdling at the beach, and asked if we were diving the Whiskey, as well. I told them "No, we're going to salvage the Spanish Galleon that recently uncovered just East of the Whiskey". Not really. They told me they hadn't dived the site before, and could I help them get to it.

Now, generally, this is a dive I do with Mat, and let him find the wreck, and generally dawdle on my way out until he ties in. So, I told them the general directions and distance, and told them they should be able to see parts of the wreck from the surface. They started out, and my buddy and I followed. I must be the world's slowest surface swimmer, or I reverted to my bad habits, because I turned off my back and my buddy had left me behind, and the other group was almost on site, but they couldn't find it. Thinking my Buddy was closer, I asked him to dip down and see if he could find it. No soap.

I went under, and swam south, and came upon a large section of wreck that I hadn't seen previously, as it had been covered. 10' further and I was on the main section. I tied the flag off, surfaced and told them where it was. They were close, but I found it first.

Vis was 5-10', the jellies (at first) were not nearly as thick as at the jetties. Huge schools of spadefish, a puffer, flounder, blennies, small snapper, octopus, etc. I tried to find the western section of wreck, but couldn't. The stern (eastern end) and Port (southern side) of the wreck were really sanded in, but the North side was exposing more wreckage which is very interesting. On the west side, I started getting stung really badly with those "no see-ums", including one electric shock under my left arm inside the wetsuit. I got aggravated, and turned the dive.

Obligatory 3mile wings at hooters. I dropped a wing and poured some of my beer out for the absent bugman!

Max depth: 15', time ~45mins, temps: 80's .

Great reports Paul.

Michael

I really need to get out to the Whiskey and Alabama Point this summer. Maybe we can hook up for a dive a little later. I dove the pensacola Beach pier rubble on Saturday and Sunday. The jelllies were out on Saturday and I took a couple good hits. Sunday was another story with only 3-4 jellies seen the entire dive. Viz was 20 feet a little before and during high slack tide.

wjefferis:
I really need to get out to the Whiskey and Alabama Point this summer. Maybe we can hook up for a dive a little later. I dove the pensacola Beach pier rubble on Saturday and Sunday. The jelllies were out on Saturday and I took a couple good hits. Sunday was another story with only 3-4 jellies seen the entire dive. Viz was 20 feet a little before and during high slack tide.

I definitely want to hit the Pensacola Beach pier this summer.

Another question:

Where are all of the Blue crabs? I haven't seen any the last few dives. They were everywhere this time last year.

what kind of SMB/Flag do you guys tow around when doing these shore dives?

I have a dive flag on a rod that has a styrofoam bottom to allow it to float. I have line that attaches to the rod. You can find them at any dive shop around here. Here is a picture of what I use.
msm_4645.jpg

wjefferis:
I have a dive flag on a rod that has a styrofoam bottom to allow it to float. I have line that attaches to the rod. You can find them at any dive shop around here. Here is a picture of what I use.
msm_4645.jpg
I have one basically like that...
Does yours screw together? I like that better than mine.
2852.jpg

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom