Trip Report - 7/25/05. LA Oil Rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, my buddy backed out on the trip 2 weeks ago, so there was a last minute substitution...

Left my house at 4:15am for the 90 minute drive down to Venice. Forecast called for partly cloudy skies, scattered showers and 1-2ft seas. Boat was due to depart at 7am, and would be full with 6 divers plus one dive shop rep (who was basically just a 7th diver...).

Boat was a 36ft fishing boat called "Fish-n-Chips" which showed up about 6:20 and we loaded gear for the trip. 3 tanks each plus food, water, and safety equipment for 7 divers. The boat has a wide beam and promised to be stable in the unpredictable gulf.
We pulled away from the dock prior to our 7am departure time...

In spite of the drone of the twin Diesels, I stretched out on top of the port engine box and fell asleep for much of the 2.5 hour trip out to the rigs in 200-300 ft of water.

Dive one - average sized rig, unknown designation. Lacking a "rig hook", the LDS rep lassoed a ladder of the rig with a line and we were tied off about 50-60 ft from the rig. With almost no surface current, some wind-driven waves kept the boat safely away from the structure. I was second or third over the rail (the long-neglected backwards roll-off) and swam towards the structure before descending through the murk (which was suprisingly not that murky-about 15 ft of vis). Dropped down to 15 ft, out of the surface surge and into a ~1 kt. current running through the rig from my back. Got adjusted and tried to find a spot out of the current. The rig itself was beautiful. It had little tube worms covering the structure between 30 and 52 ft in exactly the color of a field of daisies. Extremely interesting, and several hundred blennies cavorted in the field. In fact, you didn't know what they were until you got close. Visibility was about 80ft at depth. You could see clear across the rig. Spadefish, snapper and HUGE barracuda were all over the rig from 80' to 15'. There were angels and rock beauties near the jackets and stinging hydroids covered the upper 30' of the jackets.

I took a few pics before I put the camera away to manage the relentless current. Seas: Gentle 1-2' light wind swell. Surface temp: 88*, air temp 95*, small thermocline/halocline at 15'. Max depth 65', average depth 59', bottom time: 35mins. BOB with 750 p.s.i. Steel 95.

Dive 2: 311 rig. Similar topside conditions, current was a little stronger. Left the camera behind on this dive. Encrusting materials not nearly as colorful as the first rig. Large amberjack, schooling red snapper, spadefish, sheepshead. I spotted a 6' shark off the side of the rig and about 50' below me. Could not identify species from above. Large Lemonfish (lingcod, ling) near the surface as we entered the rig. Current up to ~1-1.5 kts. Visibility still 100'+ there was another murk layer coming up below 70'. Max depth 50', dive time 25mins, BOB with 750 p.s.i. Al80.

Dive 3: Wind picked up as we could see Storms off to the South, seas still 1-2', with occasional 2-3. Light surface current from Starboard, but not strong enough to fight the wind's push from the bow (IOW, you didn't notice it until the surface swim). Very noticeable near the structure. Dropped down with some difficulty removing air from my BC in the chop. got caught in a little alcove during the surge, but managed to extricate myself quickly with no harm. Current was from the back in excess of 2kt. I was a little worn from the surface swim and 2 prior dives and found a nice hanging spot at 30'. When I tried to drop lower, I had a slight ear squeeze which I could not overcome, so the entire dive was spent hanging on an abandoned stringer at 30' and looking around. Entirely different group of fish- schooling semi-tropicals and barracuda were resident. Very fishy place, lots of small non-game fish and stony encrustation. Facing the tiring swim back at the boat, I departed after only 20mins and did a shamu-style entry (more on that later) exhausted onto the boat. 1500 p.s.i BOB.

Ok. I said this was a fishing boat. So, they don't have things like tank racks - no problem. They don't have a head - no problem. They don't have a swim platform - no problem. Their ladder is a hook-style swimming pool ladder that doesn't really attach to the boat - a not insurmountable problem. Some of the divers shimmied up that ladder like it was welded to the boat. Others (like me) had the ladder constantly trying to slide over the side. I ended up using the chine on the side of the boat as a step, grabbed the lip of the gunwale to hoist myself to where my chest was even with the rail, then reached over and grabbed under the gunwale and hosted the rest of my body over - foregoing the treacherous ladder. On the third dive, I never stood up or crawled, just slid over the rail to the deck like a wounded tuna and unsnapped the shoulder buckles of my BC. Then I stood up and stowed my gear.

I slept on the fantail on the way back to port. Then the 90 minute drive back to my house.

I enjoyed my day, it's something I'd do again (in a few years). Call me a "weekend warrior", but this was an awful lot of work for the payoff. I'd take Boca's drift dives in a heartbeat over going again. Maybe I'm spoiled and need more of these types of challenges....

LOL :D

Atleast you had some great visibility out in the Gulf and got to see some big ole fish! Comeon back out to Destin for some easy shore dives at the jetties. Sounds like a great experience to me!

SuPrBuGmAn:
LOL :D

Atleast you had some great visibility out in the Gulf and got to see some big ole fish! Comeon back out to Destin for some easy shore dives at the jetties. Sounds like a great experience to me!

Like they say: The only way to master something is to do it... If it were always easy, it wouldn't be any fun at all (well, maybe for me).

I'll likely get down to Destin in August. The pockets are a lot shallower than they used to be after this trip... But that walk to the water - ugh!- sounds like work again!

The sea life on the rigs is comparable to the unspoiled areas of the caribbean, with the pelagic species "up close and personal". The colors and varieties are outstanding. I even saw a little stone crab about 1/2" crawling about while I was doing my safety stop on dive 2. Reminded me of the Jetties. I tried to get him to pinch my glove. Couldn't hurt as bad as his big brother on the jetties.

Are you still complaining about that walk to the jetties :D. You could even paddle up Holmes creek and do a Cypress spring dive and it would be easier than what you described. Glad you had a good time though.

SeaYoda:
Are you still complaining about that walk to the jetties :D. You could even paddle up Holmes creek and do a Cypress spring dive and it would be easier than what you described. Glad you had a good time though.

One walk, not so bad.
Two Walks, necessary and provides cardio.
Three walks, borders on insane
Fourth walk, necessary to put an end to the madness! :D

Matt: Where's the plan for the sandbuggy tank tote???

Sounds like a day to rember paul. Im originally from New Orleans, and My roommate had a 28' palm beach fishing boat. We use to go out of venice all the time and go fishing out at rig 143, which is right by the midnight lumps 30 miles out. I havent had the expierence to dive the rigs yet, but im dying to get back out there now that im certified. The fish we use to catch were unbelievable, tuna, wahoo, amberjack, baracooda, snapper, you name it we probably had it on the boat at least once. We even snaged a whale shark once while trolling, WOW what an expierence to see that huge mamoth in the water, He was bigger than the boat. I try and visit my family down there a couple times a year, so im trying to find out who to go out with on a charter when I come and visit. If you have any recomendations, I would appreciate the info.

Dive safe
Kyle

paulwall:
Matt: Where's the plan for the sandbuggy tank tote???

My buddy just bought a Manx buggy body, I have a '66 Beetle that we could chop down to power it :D

I still think a ski lift is the way to go, charge the masses and pay for our hobbies.

kylepreid:
Sounds like a day to rember paul. Im originally from New Orleans, and My roommate had a 28' palm beach fishing boat. We use to go out of venice all the time and go fishing out at rig 143, which is right by the midnight lumps 30 miles out. I havent had the expierence to dive the rigs yet, but im dying to get back out there now that im certified. The fish we use to catch were unbelievable, tuna, wahoo, amberjack, baracooda, snapper, you name it we probably had it on the boat at least once. We even snaged a whale shark once while trolling, WOW what an expierence to see that huge mamoth in the water, He was bigger than the boat. I try and visit my family down there a couple times a year, so im trying to find out who to go out with on a charter when I come and visit. If you have any recomendations, I would appreciate the info.

Dive safe
Kyle

The only dive shop running trips out of Venice is Harry's (The oldest shop in New Orleans). The Scuba Co. books out of Pascagoula, and Adventure Quest and Caribbean say they can book these trips, but really don't.

There are a couple of private charters, but you have to book the whole boat ($2k for 6 divers), but the boat is set up for diving and has conveniences the "Fish N Chips" might not. e.g. I would be surprised what FNC would do if a diver got pushed out of the other side of the rig and started drifting with others in the water. It would be difficult to retrieve them if the boat were drifting with the diver (I feel). Many of the boats are private boats with friends going out for spearfishing. Maybe contact the Aqua Aces and see what they have going (MrFish87 is the SB member of the Aqua Aces). It's really a crap shoot. Harry's even had to change the charter boat in the final week due to double-booking of the Delta Dawn (which I understand is a smaller boat).

On the way out, we did see a similar sized boat with the Dive Flag's painted on the side, but I couldn't make out the company name. It had a 985 phone #, so it was from the area...

Actually, there are a couple of boats listed here http://www.bluewaterbooking.com/booktripbody.htm that show 6 divers at $1300 + tip for the day... That's a little more than I paid, but I can't find 5 friends to split the cost....

paulwall:
The only dive shop running trips out of Venice is Harry's (The oldest shop in New Orleans). The Scuba Co. books out of Pascagoula, and Adventure Quest and Caribbean say they can book these trips, but really don't.

There are a couple of private charters, but you have to book the whole boat ($2k for 6 divers), but the boat is set up for diving and has conveniences the "Fish N Chips" might not. e.g. I would be surprised what FNC would do if a diver got pushed out of the other side of the rig and started drifting with others in the water. It would be difficult to retrieve them if the boat were drifting with the diver (I feel). Many of the boats are private boats with friends going out for spearfishing. Maybe contact the Aqua Aces and see what they have going (MrFish87 is the SB member of the Aqua Aces). It's really a crap shoot. Harry's even had to change the charter boat in the final week due to double-booking of the Delta Dawn (which I understand is a smaller boat).

On the way out, we did see a similar sized boat with the Dive Flag's painted on the side, but I couldn't make out the company name. It had a 985 phone #, so it was from the area...

Actually, there are a couple of boats listed here http://www.bluewaterbooking.com/booktripbody.htm that show 6 divers at $1300 + tip for the day... That's a little more than I paid, but I can't find 5 friends to split the cost....
Wow, those are some costly charters. I need to hook up with my old room mate and see if he still has his boat. He's scuba certified too, so I know he would love to go out if he still has the boat. If I find anything out I'll let you know, mabe you could join us if you have time. Im sure we will do some fishing while on our SI. He also only charges for the cost of bait, ice, and fuel, so if 4 of us go it will only cost about $40-$60 a person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom