Trip report - 7/15-7/22 Boca Raton & Upper Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had a great week diving last week in Florida. Earlier this summer we got tickets on independence air for some ridiculously low price and figured we couldn't afford _not_ to go :)

We flew into West Palm Friday evening and picked up our rental car from Budget (both times so far we've been upgraded from a std/full size to a small SUV). We drove down and checked into the Marriot Fairfield Inn off Airport Rd. in Boca, which was a perfectly clean and well appointed hotel. The included continental breakfast was the most extensive I've seen (they usually seem to consist of some stale bagels and bad coffee), with a waffle station, fresh fruit, lots of pastries, etc.

Saturday & Sunday mornings we dove with Capt. Tony on Diversity. San Remo & Boca Artificial on Saturday. Viz was ok (apparently much better then it had been the previous week), perhaps 30-40'. United Carribean & Sea Empress, then Crabs Cove reef on Sunday morning. We were blown out of a night dive on Saturday night. We dove off with Diversity earlier this year while completing our aow certifications with MB, and the boat remains one of my favorites. Laid back but very competent crew, comfortable boat and easy boarding ladder.

Sunday evening we had a terrible dinner at Brewzis (the food was ok, but we didn't see the waitress again after she delivered the wrong drinks, and repeated requests to 4 other waiters were basically ignored).

Monday morning we drove down to the keys & checked in at Conch Republic Divers. All the reviews I've seen here are correct; Gary and Brenda are fantastic and accomodating. The boats are both set up well for diving, and were never too crowded. Huge rinse tanks and drying racks are provided at the dock so no need to spread wet gear around your room or try to rinse stuff in the shower.

Gary & Captain Jim both gave excellent dive briefings and were very knowledgeable, and while the rest of the crew was sometimes a little bit hit & miss, they were always professional, safe, and curteous so we have no real complaints. Brenda answered all our questions and made sure we had everything we needed -- I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Conch Republic to anyone looking for excellent diving in the keys, and it was nice to never have to carry a tank.

We had similarly "poor" visibility all week in the keys (and poor in this case means an average of 30 or 40 feet, better then the best day at the quarry, so we weren't complaining). Seas were pretty calm all week and while some storms moved through quickly during the night dive we didn't have any dives blown out. We dove Conch Wall, Davis (twice, once as a night dive), The Eagle, aquarium, Spiegel Grove (twice), Brenwood, and Eagle Alley.

The highlight of the week was definitely the two dives on the Spiegel Grove. We were able to dive it the first afternoon it was open and had a fantastic dive from bouy #6 right near the wheelhouse. On Thursday we dove it again and tied in at the bow for another great dive (albeit slightly shorter & deeper). There was certainly a current both days, but nothing extreme and there is plenty to see at a variety of depths.

In the keys we ate at Hobos (neat atmosphere and good food), Islamorada Fish Co. (nice view of the sunset, food wasn't as great), Fish House Encore (very good food, wish I'd just ordered the half portion of fish), Chads Deli (great wraps), and the deli on the marina near Conch Republic (good hot sandwiches and a very friendly owner).

I used this trip as an excuse for a new toy, a housing for my Sony P150 and was very pleased. You should be able to view some of the shots (unretouched) here: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=26708

(Hi to Dennis & Roxanne, Gary & Brenda -- sorry for the delayed trip report!)

Wow ... whats up with the vis ?? Planning an Oct trip but figured the vis in the keys to be better. We're hoping to grab the 3 night package at the Holiday Inn (SeaDwellers)
Thanks for the trip report. Now we know some good places to eat & some to stay away from :>)

Tuckster

Looks like you got some nice pictures also.
It was a lot of fun diving with you & Samara on the grove.
I could not agree more with you about Conch Republic or diving Spiegel Grove they both are fantastic.
If I every get my lazy butt going I'll be putting some picts of the Grove in my gallery also.
Glad to see you both made it home safe.

Thanks for the kudo's and the excellent report Scott. We really enjoyed meeting you guys and look forward to your next return.

You were one week too soon for the vis. It's gotten very good, in the past week we had well over 100' with calm seas. Take care and

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

scottm:
We had a great week diving last week in Florida... Saturday & Sunday mornings we dove with Capt. Tony on Diversity. San Remo & Boca Artificial on Saturday. Viz was ok (apparently much better then it had been the previous week), perhaps 30-40'. United Carribean & Sea Empress, then Crabs Cove reef on Sunday morning. We were blown out of a night dive on Saturday night. We dove off with Diversity earlier this year while completing our aow certifications with MB, and the boat remains one of my favorites. Laid back but very competent crew, comfortable boat and easy boarding ladder... We had similarly "poor" visibility all week in the keys
Sorry we missed you guys. Its been an odd summer with reduced viz and WAY too many storms. But life is good anyway. Jo and I did some dives this morning just for fun, and had two ripping current dives. PLayed with some baitfish until a Spanish Mackeral decided to zip in for a snack. I've never seen anything move that fast!

Amari and Soleil say "Woof, Pet me, Feed me." Thanks for posting the report. Looks like I've got to mosey back down to the Keys - its been a while.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom