Trip Report ~ 16-Day “Biodiversity Special”: Sorong to Maumere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bonairefans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What’s not to love about an underwater odyssey that explores these remote Indonesian dive locations?

ry%3D400

Graphic: Sonja Geier

Upon boarding Mermaid1 in Sorong Harbor, we were surprised to learn that the Raja Ampat portion of the itinerary was modified due to deteriorating dive conditions in the central and northern regions. My reaction: “Oh, no! No Manta Sandy? Melissa’s Garden? Arborek Jetty? No hikes to enjoy the panorama of the limestone islands?” But after we settled-in for 3-days of diving in the Misool region, my frown turned upside down. Dive conditions were eye-popping as the best of Raja Ampat’s coral gardens and critters was played before us in aces.

As we moved south toward Bandas, the word “Biodiversity” took on majestic new meanings as we progressed from island to island. It became excitingly clear that we were having truly extraordinary experiences that were unmatched in a 22-year diving career. The blending of land and water created unforgettable vistas. After 75-minutes on the reef with hundreds of sea kraits, we surfaced under a sky filled with frigates, terns, and boobies circling a steaming volcano. We had entered an Epoch that was far removed from the 21st century.

Alor will be remembered for reefs composed of unique coral, anemone and sponge formations. It also marked a return to human settlements after experiencing the primitive isolation of the Banda Sea. Alor gave us our coolest water temp of 76 degrees F, while 84 was the norm for Misool and Banda.

The Mermaid crew knows these waters well. If conditions at one site are not favorable, the team knows just where to head next. The dive masters are well-versed in the profile of each site.

We have been extremely fortunate on all 3 of our Mermaid trips when it comes to grouping the divers. On the Komodo trip, it was just the two of us with the legendary Dolphin, who hails from Manado. 10-days in Komodo with our own private DM…no complaints here. Last year in Raja, we were again teamed with Dolphin. On the Sorong-Maumere voyage , it was a Frenchman who would guide us on 48 dives. Nico has such an enthusiastic love for the reef and its residents. If dive conditions are changing, he has an uncanny instinct regarding the direction we should head. And with the vision of Aquaman, he spotted all creatures great and small. Nico worked 16-hour days, and at all times displayed exceptional kindness, respect, and care for both the guests and Indonesian crew.

We are so grateful to the Indonesian and European crew for planning and executing such a rarefied adventure, which included keeping us safe in dive conditions that often involved currents that were both unpredictable and ripping (but that’s what brings in the mantas and sharks, right?) On-board, we requested vegetarian fare, and the kitchen team whipped-up 16 days of the most delicious meat- and dairy-free meals found anywhere on the 7 Seas. Mermaid1 offers comfortable and relaxed living on all of her decks.

Travel Logistics: We flew Singapore Air, San Francisco-Manado, with 6-hours conveniently spent at the Terminal 3 hotel at the Singapore Airport. Our 5-day layover in North Sulawesi was spent at Two Fish on Bunaken. For overnighting near the Manado Airport, the Novotel Manado Golf Resort is convenient. Flying from Manado to Sorong, the best deal is Garuda, which permits 22 kilos of sports equipment. We flew Nam Air (B727) Maumere-Bali. We had to pay $30 baggage fee, as Nam Air only allows 5 kilos for sport equipment. For an overnight near DPS, the Vira Bali Hotel is hard to beat, as airport transportation is included.

The charming and lovely Sonia Geier is the Mermaid1’s videographer, and she produced a short overview of our trip. If any artistic expression can elevate the viewer above the mundane to a realm of the sublime, you’re about to experience it.

Wow! What a terrific time to see your report - Thanks!

We are booked to do the same trip next year - April 20 > May 5, 2017.

Then, after five days of R & R on Maumere, we board the Mermaid II for 7 days and dive our way through Komodo to Bali.

Up for some questions (mostly land based issues) over the next few months?

Thanks again!

David & Marcie

Last edited:
Great vids, I saw you guys in Daram... the sea was flat flat flat! As you say, perfect conditions. Glad to hear the rest of your trip was the same

Biodiversity Special is a really great trip on Mermaid. I did it 3 years ago starting from Maumere to Sorong. This movies put me in memories).....
Dolphin is a really great dive guide! I had few trips with him and can tell, that if someone will dive with Mermaid I just try do be it his team. You will really see a lot!!!!

Hey David & Marcie,

I got a vicarious thrill when I read that you have already reserved a spot for next April’s Biodiversity cruise. You couldn’t have picked a better liveaboard or itinerary.

And then you plan to continue diving in Komodo aboard Mermaid ll…talk about living large…this will give you bragging rights for decades to come.

Sure, feel free to ask questions.

Happy planning,

Greg

Biodiversity Special is a really great trip on Mermaid. I did it 3 years ago starting from Maumere to Sorong. This movies put me in memories).....
Dolphin is a really great dive guide! I had few trips with him and can tell, that if someone will dive with Mermaid I just try do be it his team. You will really see a lot!!!!

Hello Mike_Kiev,

Update on Dolphin: he resigned from Mermaid to operate a restaurant in Manado. But he continues to free-lance as a DM. He was in Komodo in May.

Last year in Raja Ampat, the divers complained that they weren’t on Dolphin’s team. The cruise director finally started to rotate groups to keep the peace.

In truth, the entire dive staff is stellar. Having said that, we were very fortunate to have Nico as our DM.

Thank you bonairefans for informing about it. I hear about Dolphin as free-lancer before Mermaid and was very happy to meet him on board. But everything changing...
Anyway all diving stuff are good on Mermaidboats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom