Trip report 09/10 - Old Garden

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmbaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Skipping out of work early has a few advantages. The night dive turned into a pre dusk dive. Doug (dkerr) and I arrived at OG around 5:45 and after going over the dive plan we had a brief navigation lesson, we headed out. I have never really gotten the navigation down so Doug gave me a refresher course and we headed out.

The water was as calm as can be. Our entry was typical as well as the long swim out. We descended in about 12ft. Our plan was to do a simple out and back. About 10 minutes in we ran into 3 stripers about 2ft in length. Question how many fish does there have to be to be called a school? Saw lots of smaller fish that I could not identify ( orangish and about 4-6 inches).

Nice rock formations at about 35 feet and a few hundred yards out. We reached a max depths of 41ft, which is pretty good for low tide and began our return trip. Doug was busy snapping pictures, I'll like him share his thoughts when he give his report. On the way back we ran into a over zealous lobster who lunged out from his rock when I got a little too close.

Doug's navigation lesson must have sunk in because we ended up fairly close to where we entered.

my conscience was bugging me to do another tank, but I needed to get back home, but plan to return another day.....

Old Garden is one of my favorite sites so far out here .

I take it you found the "hole" out near the right side (if you are standing on the beach). I got to 45 feet last Wednesday night.

I also have seen a ton of those orange fish ranging from 2 inches to 6-8 inches. I have no idea what they are, but would be interested in finding out.

I see you are from Waltham. I just moved to Taylor St in Waltham on Sunday. We should go hop in the water together sometime.

I am on Washington ave. looks like we are right around the corner from eachother. The next couple of wknds are tought, but
definately I would be up for logging more dives. will keep ya posted.

I see you are from Waltham. I just moved to Taylor St in Waltham on Sunday. We should go hop in the water together sometime.

As Gary said, it was perfect dive conditions. OGB is also one of my favorite low tide dive sites.
This was my first opportunity to dive with a fellow board member (FINALLY) and was pleased to find Gary not only personable and a good diver, but he was also not an axe weilding murderer! So much for that web surfing psychopath theory.
Gary had told me right off the bat that nav. skills were a little rough. I of course taught him what I know (reserving the real "secrets" that only us Compass Masters know) :) about navigation. We then picked a course he followed it extremely well.
Great dive and really looking forward to some follow up dives with you Gary.
Thanks
Doug

p.s. I will post some pics if any come out. Very new at the uw photography thing...

Nice report.

I take it then that you ignore the "no night diving" signs at OGB...;-)

I've stayed away from it as a night dive site due to the signs......any unruly old ladies ever take you guys to task for diving there at night?

what sign :jester:

We did chat with quite a few locals who asked us how the dive was and what we saw. We Even ran into a lady who had her dog off the lease which is also on the sign as phohibited.

I have ran into a few cranky people from time to time, but always try to overwhelm them with politness and smile a lot.

keep in mind, we did start the dive earlier and exited just at dark, so maybe the neighborhood patrol :doctor: was not out yet.

I take it then that you ignore the "no night diving" signs at OGB...;-)

I've stayed away from it as a night dive site due to the signs......any unruly old ladies ever take you guys to task for diving there at night?

There used to be a sign over at the walkway that runs from the road down to the beach. I think it has 8 or 10 different beach rules. One of these is "no night diving".

Last time I was there was in mid-July and the sign was still there.

yes the sign is still there. my attempt at comedy above I guess was lost. good thing I still have a day job. We both chose to ignore the sign.

Back
Top Bottom