Trip report: 06_22 - 07_01 East Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I first arrived at Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn and really was a bit skeptical about this whole cruise thing. I have done windjammer and liveaboard cruises, but never the huge ship scene. I was pretty impressed with not only the quantity of food, but the wide variety of entertainment. We were a family of 4 travelling with 2 other families and another couple in celebration of my boyfriend’s parents celebrating their 50th anniversary. It was a great way for the entire family to be together for events such as dinner, a comedy show, a family portrait, or just lounging poolside. These gatherings were easily accommodated and it was apparent other family groups were on the boat. Several pleasant and interesting travelers readily sparked up a conversation poolside.

The ship was actually a great deal of fun despite the fact that there were 1200 crew and 3600 passengers. It was a floating luxury hotel complete with a wide selection of shops, services, and many activities to experience for free. Another great thing since we drove was that we could carry on all of our dive gear with ease.

We were on a 9 day cruise embarking in Brooklyn 06/22 in the early afternoon and departing in the evening. We had planned dives for all locations, but due to the ship losing an engine at Puerto Rico and the need for the boat to make time to get back to New York, our time in Bermuda was dramatically reduced. I thought this aspect of the cruise ship industry was very unappealing. We were compensated $75 for our ‘inconveniences’ by Princess.

Diving was a delight! I wore a dive skin and a T-shirt over my swimsuit as the dives were approximately an hour each.

Grand Turk, British Windward Islands – We used Blue Water Divers. Even the cab driver knew Mitch. Mitch was a good boat captain and had us in the water and diving on schedule. Air temps mid to upper 80’s and Sunny. Water temp 81F. Visibility was 75-80’. We dove two dives: Gorgonian Wall 94’ (which had a drop off to 7000’!) and Coral Gardens at 71’.

St Thomas, USVI – We used St Thomas Dive Club which had Rachel come to the cruise ship dock and pick us up. Captain and boat personnel were interestingly all ladies. Air temps mid to upper 80’s and Sunny. Water temp 82F. Visibility was slightly off since they had just had rain the night prior – 35-40’. Captain was great and had us in the water immediately at Buck Island Point to 75’ with our surface interval in a protected area called Turtle Cove to snorkel and see turtles eating sea lettuce. It was a nice relaxing interval.

Rooms were pretty large and the vessel was full of pools in various locations. The gym was packed the first few days (people trying to fight off the overeating). By the end of the week, the gym was less busy. Entertainment on the ship was greatly varied and had something going on at all times for almost all ages and abilities. Special teen and pre-teen centers were especially appealing for our group since 3 of the 4 couples had children. Food service in the dining room was impeccable. Our waiters were with us all week and knew our food and beverage selections. They made us feel very welcome. The photographers were excellent and had photos of all events posted the same day and available for purchase. I’d do it again if I had a large group or family, a long trip duration (greater than 6 days), and some long intervals at each location (more than 8 hours).

Thnx for the report

Thanks, we are headed there next week on the Ruby Princess. This will be different since we won't be able to wear the same t-shirt all week, but after our last dive trip where seas were so rough the fridge fell over and the trip was cut short, this seems like a nice change. If this doesn't work out we'll just go to Bonaire and stay there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom