Trip Photos -- Oceanic Whitetip Sharks and Swimming Pigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very cool - that shark reflection is great...and the pigs are an interesting sight !

An excellent collection of shots as well as a great experience.

Awesome Pics Doug!! Did the whole family go on that trip??

Excellent photos. The reflection is awesome but I do like the pigs. :wink:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. To answer a couple of comments:

The oceanics are quite "bold". I wouldn't say I felt threatened but they were not afraid of divers or skittish at all. They would come right in and investigate every diver. I think everyone had their camera housings bumped a few times.

Unfortunately, we only had one oceanic with pilot fish during the week and it seemed that the pilot fish were camera shy. They would be right in the frame and then swim right to the other side of the shark just as you fired the camera! I agree, though, that it's a much nicer photo when they pilot fish are there.

The pigs are on land and in very shallow water. The oceanics are miles and miles away in very very deep water -- good news for the pigs!

Mike -- just Kim and I on this trip. It was sort of a "congratulations on finishing your first year of college" trip as she finished finals two days before the trip. Besides, Eric is still in high school until early June. And, you know my wife. Jim's boat isn't quite the luxury accommodations that her tastes demand!!!! :)

Thanks again everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. If you like sharks and have already done the tigers, bulls, and hammerheads, this is a great next trip for you.

Doug

Hahaha. Sounds good Doug. Hope to get out and dive with you guys again in the near future. Perhaps you can join us on one of our upcoming trips.

Say congrats to Kim!

Back
Top Bottom