Trip Photos -- Oceanic Whitetip Sharks and Swimming Pigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just got back from an amazing Bahamas trip with Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures (Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures: Diving Palm Beach and the Bahamas) where we spend the week diving with oceanic whitetip sharks. These dives were done off his liveaboard dive boat, Shear Water by floating alongside baited crates hung from the surface in the open ocean (some depths greater than 4000 fsw!). We had incredible interactions with up to seven of these open ocean predators at a time. Not for the faint of heart but a great trip for shark lovers. Here are a few photos:

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8290a.jpg

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8148a.jpg

I love the reflection in the other photographer's dome port on this one
bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8369b.jpg

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8495a.jpg

After several days of shark diving we stopped off at an island known to have pigs that come out to the water to meet the boat. We spent the afternoon with these "swimming pigs".

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8746a.jpg

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8768a.jpg

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8740a.jpg

And, yes, the glamorous life of my friend Douglas Seiffert -- professional underwater photographer:

bahamaswetpixelmay2008crw_7712a.jpg

bahamaswetpixelmay2008crw_7714a.jpg

We finished off the trip with some reef dives where we found a very friendly turtle and lots of lion fish

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8840a.jpg

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8810a.jpg

bahamaswetpixelmay2008img_8586a.jpg

Thanks to Jimmy and his crew for a fantastic week!

More photos can be found on my website, debersole.com, under the "Gallery"

As far as baited shark photos go though, I prefer your stills from tiger beach. Tigers are just very photogenic.

I've seen stills of unbaited white tip sightings in the red sea where the white tips have their own portable ecosystem handy with 15 or more pilot/remora/etc fish on/around them. Those pictures are very impressive. I think the presence of all the extra fish adds color and balances out the white tip's less photogenic features like the fins so long they bend and look "worn out".

Wow, brilliant photos!

That is incredible...I've never seen close ups of Oceanics like that. Thank you for posting!!

Were there ever any issues? I've heard and read that they can be quite aggressive at times.

Wow beautiful pixs!!!!!!

#2 and #4 are stunning. Looks like a fantastic trip !

Magnificent Doug!! Love 'em all but that reflection in the dome port is priceless. Oceanic whitetips are a beautiful shark, definitely on my bucket list. Along with swimming pigs. BTW Doug Siefert is an old friend of mine, if you run into him again please say hello for me. Thanks for posting these, they are wonderful,
++Ken Bondy++

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom