Trip Advisor's love affair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think ops use trip advisor etc as a marketing tool. I know I have been asked by 4 different ops on different locations in the Caribbean to post a review. In most cases it has been positive, as I always look for recommendations before I book dives. Perhaps some ops just don't mention it, therefor the low number of reviews. I usually don't post reviews on trip advisor unless asked to and I felt the op was good.

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for your post and your interest in us!

We would love to have you on board one day so you can see first hand what we do. We are a small, family owned dive operation dedicated to small groups and personal service. Give us a call sometime and we would be happy to share some great dives with you and answer any questions you may have about our operation.

Trip Advisor is a great way for people planning their vacations to learn about new and old operations. These reviews all go through TA screening with ip addresses and real email accounts. Check it out!

Best wishes,

Living The Dream Divers

I usually don't post reviews on trip advisor unless asked to and I felt the op was good.
I'm exactly the opposite - if someone asks me to post a review, I'm less likely to.

I'm exactly the opposite - if someone asks me to post a review, I'm less likely to.

Me too. Although most people are sensible enough not to ask. :wink:

The only thing I find concerning is that TA presents (at present) an unbalanced picture. The number of good reviews possessed by a dive op is much more a measure of their marketing abilities than of the quality of service. It's not (necessarily) that bad dive ops are drumming up good reviews for themselves. It's that some very good dive ops which don't play the TA review game will have few or no reviews and get overlooked. Eventually, EVERY dive op will be forced to start pestering customers for reviews in order to survive.

It also looks to me as if many (although not all) of the TA reviewers have very limited diving experience to begin with. Perhaps the reviews would carry more weight if the reviewer was required to state how many dives he/she has done and whether the review was solicited or not.

Me too. Although most people are sensible enough not to ask. :wink:

I see nothing wrong with a dive op asking at the end of the day to post a review.
They are not telling you what to write, nor do you have to write one if you don't want. If it was solicited or not is irrelevant. In a day where the dive dollars are very competitive, it shows good business/marketing sense.
The internet is a powerful marketing tool and taking advantage of sites like TA is a cheap way to get some marketing. I am sure there are good dive ops out there that are not represented on TA, and perhaps they are losing market share to this new upstart. Could it be you have a vested interested in these other established ops?
I think scubaboard is a great site but certainly you can't believe that all experienced divers are scubaboard members and that only inexperienced divers post on TA.
Why don’t you go dive with them a post a review?

Randy, I know Alex personally and I can assure you he has NO vested interest in any Dive Op on Cayman . Either do I. I can say that I have dove most dive ops on cayman,there are possibly 2-3 that I haven't "Living The Dream" is one that I haven't.

Could it be you have a vested interested in these other established ops?

Nope. If I did I wouldn't comment on any dive op. SB should be a source of freely-given, unbiased advice.

I think scubaboard is a great site but certainly you can't believe that all experienced divers are scubaboard members and that only inexperienced divers post on TA.?

The average level of diving experience here is FAR higher than on TA, as you can tell from the posts.

Why don’t you go dive with them a post a review?

I will sometime.

Randy, I know Alex personally and I can assure you he has NO vested interest in any Dive Op on Cayman . Either do I. I can say that I have dove most dive ops on cayman,there are possibly 2-3 that I haven't "Living The Dream" is one that I haven't.

FWIW, I have never met Alex, but I have read his posts for years. I can tell you he has never posted anything that gave me the impression that he was shilling for any dive op, or had a particular grudge against anyone for that matter.

It also looks to me as if many (although not all) of the TA reviewers have very limited diving experience to begin with. Perhaps the reviews would carry more weight if the reviewer was required to state how many dives he/she has done and whether the review was solicited or not.

There is nothing wrong with inexperienced divers posting reviews. MOST divers (perhaps I should say holders of diving certifications cards?) are relatively inexperienced. For a new diver, the opinions of other new divers may be just what they are looking for.

I do agree that some measure of the poster's experience would help me gauge how well an operation might be able to cater for divers with a similar skill set to me.

The only thing I find concerning is that TA presents (at present) an unbalanced picture.

In this case, 82 of 83 reviews (all but one) gave the highest possible rating. No matter how good an organization can be, when you get to this magnitude of sample size, such a response is statistically unlikely, because it's effectively a zero variance.

The number of good reviews possessed by a dive op is much more a measure of their marketing abilities than of the quality of service.

Understood, and given also that in this specific example, the company responded on TA within 24 hours, which shows that they're very much "plugged in" to the existence of TA, and to its business potential.

It's not (necessarily) that bad dive ops are drumming up good reviews for themselves. It's that some very good dive ops which don't play the TA review game will have few or no reviews and get overlooked. Eventually, EVERY dive op will be forced to start pestering customers for reviews in order to survive.

For better ... and for worse, unfortunately. To be fair, we can't blame the businesses who have found opportunity through such means. But by the same token, we are still allowed to be cynical. :wink:

There is nothing wrong with inexperienced divers posting reviews. MOST divers (perhaps I should say holders of diving certifications cards?) are relatively inexperienced. For a new diver, the opinions of other new divers may be just what they are looking for.

Within limits. One big problem is that such "inexperienced" are prone to basically the same problem that we have in diving with feedback on Instructors: all novices invariably claim that theirs was the best guy in the world, since they all have had a sample size of n=1 and thus, no real baseline with which to compare against.

I do agree that some measure of the poster's experience would help me gauge how well an operation might be able to cater for divers with a similar skill set to me.

Agreed, and to that end, it was worth noting that the sole "3" (average) vote was from a reviewer who self-identified themselves as a group of experienced (4+ years) to highly experienced (25+ years) diving consumers. IMO, this comment carries substantially more weight. Unfortunately, Trip Advisor isn't really in the position to try to measure their self-selected volunteer reviewers, which is a weakness of their polling system.

Thus, for the rest of us, the Devil remains in the details on how to interpret the TA reports.

-hh

Back
Top Bottom