Trip Advice January 1-17th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krunchy

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm doing a trip to Hong Kong and Philippines this winter, and will be diving from January 1st to 17th. I am looking for 2-3 diving locations within the Philippines. My current wish list for my trip: Lots of wrecks (historical is a plus), reefs with marine life (macro would be nice), warm water and good visibility. I've also always wanted to try cave/cavern diving, but don't know if this exists in Philippines.

I don't mind putting in the effort/expense if the experience is worth it. I'd also prefer to stay away from large groups, both above and below water. So far my list of candidate locations include: Coron, PG, Moalboal and Malapascua but I'm totally flexible and would prefer to go where the conditions/marine life are best.

Hey where are you from? Your profile doesn't say. We will be visiting Hong Kong for 3.5 weeks in January for Chinese New Years and doing a dive trip to the Philippines January 9-13. Maybe we'll be at the same place at the same time. Right now we're leaning towards Moalboal.

Betty

So many Canucks coming to HK and diving in Philippine!!!!
In Coron, stay at Sanget island(Andy) or Puerto del soi(Gunther) both very knowledgeable persons on the wrecks. Those two places are stone throw from the wrecks unlike those in Coron town.
Anilao for the macro. Mapating Cave(cavern) is small but interesting enough at 45m.
Subic for more wrecks especially USS New York.

I would check with Cebu Pacific for their promotion flights(domestic and International) from now on everyday!!!!
Manila/Coron return(today) for around US$70.00 with 20kg check in luggage(01-07 Jan).

Last edited:
Krunchy: So funny you're from Toronto too. I work downtown but live north-east of the city.

I see you are going to HK & Philippines but doing the total trip before Chinese New Years. That is the reason for our trip (hubby's family is there) so we have to be in HK for the 3rd week when they are off for CNY.

Maybe we will meet up in Moalboal. :)

Betty

After spending a week or so reading about the Philippines, all I can say is WOW. My "must see" list is already twice as long as my allotted time, so some hard choices ahead. So far I'm thinking of starting with 5-6 days split between Moalboal/Malapascua, a week diving Coron (and some exploring of Palawan), and then my last week at Anilao and Subic.

17 days to cover Anilao, Coron, Moalboal, Malapascua, Subic and also exploring Palawan!!
Less than 3 days for each destination and that including travelling as well.
Good luck!!

All good choices. You will have fun. Some thoughts: water temp will be 24-25 degrees, coron is the spot for wrecks, consider Dumaghetti and Apo Island, Subic is fun on the wrecks but beware that vis is poor. Travel between all these spots takes lots of time so allow for that as it will cut into your dive time. Suggest you pick 2 spots for 4-5 days each. Thinking about it, I would do Coron for wrecks then travel to Puerto Gallera or Apo Island area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom