Trimming wetsuit legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can it be done (DIY)?

My son has the Italian build, short legs for his body. His current 7MM fits OK and is plenty warm, except the legs are way too long. I am way too cheap to replace a functional suit. I was thinking of just hacking them off. Any ideas or suggestions before I break out the razor?

Thanks in advance!

Welllll... I have the same build (and the same problem -- and gave this the same thought).

When I asked around (including some of the dealers), the answer was relatively unanimous: no.
It seems if you do it that way, the kneepads will end up on the shins, and if, like most wetsuits, it's somewhat anatomically sculpted, the calf will be around the ankle, and much too wide, letting in too much water flow...

So, my choices (and yours) were, let the legs bunch up a little (which I've done), have it tailored (which I've done), find a suit that does LS or XLS sizes (which I've done).

Can it be done (DIY)?

My son has the Italian build, short legs for his body. His current 7MM fits OK and is plenty warm, except the legs are way too long. I am way too cheap to replace a functional suit. I was thinking of just hacking them off. Any ideas or suggestions before I break out the razor?

Thanks in advance!

I did this years ago on an old suit. If it has layers of cloth and neoprene,which most suits do, the ends will fray where it's cut off.

My vote: Do it yourself.
I converted my old full suit into a spring suit last week (as I do every few years).
The frayed edges give it character.
There's really no harm in cutting it a bit long, if you don't like the fray, send it somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom