Trimix Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amobeus

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

I'm Looking for a good trimix instructor in Toronto, what qualifies some one as a good trimix instructor and who would you recommend and why. Please don't remove the thread if a name is mentioned who is not in cahoots with this boards social crowd, I need the information.

Thanks

Amobeus

Two members from Scubaboard, Doppler and Dan MacKay both teach this type of course. I respect both of them for various reasons. As instructors for the simple reason I've seen the students that they graduate from their courses. For both instructors they produce top notch students.

You might try touching base with them. I'm sure there are others out there, but it's a start for you.

Thanks DivingGal

I'll talk those two instructors.

Amobeus

there were couple of treads about the tech instruction in Ontario, for example this one:

Ottawa training

unfortunately, that tread tried to go off tangent more than a few times, but there is still some good stuff in it

Note, i said Ontario, not Toronto - IMHO, in order to find the best instructor for you, you'll have to travel around

In terms of names - what DivingGal said - i trained with both Dan MacKay and Steve Lewis (Doppler on this board) and would recommend both highly.

If you want further details, please PM me - would be happy to provide more info

Vlada

I myself have been looking into this for some time. I live in the GTA and have been looking for a trimix teacher. I figure I will be taking it over the winter months or begining of next season.

I have been talking with Doppler over the last several months and right now figure I will take the course with him as he seems to know his stuff. Dan Mckay is out of Kingston and you had asked for someone in Toronto. Don't know to much about Dan myself either. I had also been given the name of Mike Robertson who has something to do with Toronto Dive and Climb (I think). I had troubles getting a hold of anyone there and ending up getting fed up. I had been told that Mike was an excelent Trimix teacher. Hope this helps.

Let me know, I know doppler is teaching a course around the 2nd weekend in January an the GTA. I can't make it as that is right around the time that my wife is due. I am hoping he will run another course closer to spring.

Jamie Grant

Hello

Thanks to every one for all your help, so far these are the names I have for possible instructor for this coming year, Steven Lewis, Dan Mackay, Mike Robertson, Johnathan Brooks and some guy named Matt from St Catherines. I'll try and talk to all of them at some point than pick one if they will accept me as there trimix student. I've already talked to Mr Mike Robertson at Dive Toronto, who really impressed the hell out of me, he was very knowledgeable and easy to talk with and very flexible in terms of dates and payments.

Thanks

Amobeus

Hehehe

Some guy named Matt from St Catharines.

Well, since you mentioned him.......

Matt Mandziuk from Dans Dive Shop, St Catharines.

Dans Dive Shop

He's in Mexico for another week, caving.

I think he's doing 2 or 3 Trimix courses this upcoming year. He's getting a few people up to snuff for the upcoming Lake Superior Tec dive liveaboard, also on that web site.

Mike Fowler, I believe, from Abucs in Brockville certified him for Instructor (Trimix) this year. Maybe he should be on your list too.

I was thinking of coming back to Ontario in the summer to do my course before trimix and maybe trimix also. Where do most of the instructors do the dives for the deeper courses? Are there many choices for dives?
Be Safe
Chet

Hi:

Since I have been mentioned, I put in a word. I've been teaching technical programs for nine years (tenth anniversary is April next year!!!). Been teaching trimix since fall of '96. I an a trimix instructor-trainer. I am an independent -- not affiliated with a specific shop -- and teach from one end of the Great Lakes to the other! I am based out of GTA (I live in Markham) I teach for TDI US and TDI Canada. However, my class materials including the exams and the level of skills coure graduates are expected to master, greatly exceed the basic course guidelines set down by those agencies... This is sanctioned by TDI which is one reason I teach for them... they let me do my stuff.

I prefer to do class work in the winter -- it works better that way and gives everyone time to digest the materials, ask questions and get gear together.

Someone asked where deeper dives are carried out. Depends on where the course is. This winter I am running classes out of Ottawa, Florida, Ohio, Toronto. Dives will be in Thousand Islands, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and several deep caves in Florida.

If you are interested in a course outline, PM me.

Steve Lewis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom