trimix diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi i was just wondering how long can one bottle of 12 litre trimix last you?

I have a set of doubles in the garage that have lasted 4 weeks so far, and as I'm still recuperating from surgery I expect they'll last another 4 weeks. After that, they'll last about 70min.

:d

But seriously, as Kern mentions, the fact that the tank has TMx in it has little to nothing to do with how long it lasts. Some folks find their SAC rate on deeper dives improves a bit with TMx due to clearer head, less anxiety, etc.

Especially given that you've only got ONE of them, and it's only 12l, I'm guessing you don't plan on going terribly deep, so why are you worried about TMx?

It depends a lot on the mixture. If you have a 12 litre bottle of 10/70, and breath it at 20 feet or shallower, it'll last you the rest of your life....

By the same token, a bottle of 16/50 dived to 300 feet will last you the rest of your life, too.

Get some training, then come back and ask the question. Of course, you won't need to then.....

It depends a lot on the mixture. If you have a 12 litre bottle of 10/70, and breath it at 20 feet or shallower, it'll last you the rest of your life....

By the same token, a bottle of 16/50 dived to 300 feet will last you the rest of your life, too.

Nice response :D

Actually jokes apart, helium will slowly escape through the sides of the tank, so an unused bottle doesn't last for ever.

But on the OP's question, if you feel the need to ask this sort of question you know nothing about gas management and you should be thinking of doing an advanced nitrox course. Trimix will come much later.

Actually jokes apart, helium will slowly escape through the sides of the tank, so an unused bottle doesn't last for ever.

You're funny too. Although helium atoms will migrate through the lattice of carbon steel cylinder walls, it happens on a molecular level, not on any practical level. In other words, it theoretically happens, but is not measurable. All things being equal, if the gas didn't escape through the valve, the cylinder would have the same pressure in it a thousand years from now as it does today. It will have a few less molecules, however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom