Trimix Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chardy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Trimix Computer and I think I have 3 options

1. VR3 - appears a little unreliable
2. Abyss Explorer - appears difficult to use
3. Dive Rite Nitek He - don't know anyone who has used one

Seeking all and any opinions including other suggestions

Regards,

Paul

I had been using VR3 for 2 years, and a few of my friends have them. Non of us had any problem with the unit. The VR3 is a bit complicated to learn, but after you learn it is a great tool. With a proven software, I done a few thousand of deep dives using Proplanner with no complication.
You can upgrade the unit to higer capbilities by buying a new code (for example, trimix or CCR)

I also have the Diverite Nitek He, great unit easy to use. You can figure how to use the unit in less than 5 minutes with out opening the instruction book. A perfect unit if you are not planing of using CCR.

Chardy:

Regards,

Paul
Got the diverite and it is easy as hell to use and reliable...

Chardy:
I am looking to buy a Trimix Computer and I think I have 3 options [...] 2. Abyss Explorer - appears difficult to use [...]

I haven't used either the VR3 or the NiTek He, so I can't comment about whether or not
the Explorer is any more difficult to use. As an aside, mine is an HS Explorer, and I believe
that it is the same unit as the Abyss.

Setting up gas switching schedules on the unit directly is a bit tedious, and they
recommend using a PC to do so. That doesn't work for me since the PC program is
Windows only, and I run a Windows-free life. So I'm stuck programming the
thing using the two buttons on the front.

My original unit flooded at 100FSW and was replaced under warranty. Apparently
there is a problem with a batch of the yellow cases.

I use it for "light" decompression dives; for dives requiring more serious decompression
I generate schedules and take them with me on a slate.

It also has an annoying habit of switching back to gas mix 0 between dives.
One more thing to futz with and easy to forget. Not the greatest idea IMHO.

Overall, while I'm not dissatisfied with the unit I can't really say that I'm satisfied,
either.

YMMV - just my $0.02.

Chardy:

Regards,

Paul

I own the VR3 and have a couple hundred trimix dives on the unit with no problems.

I have th DiveRite He, I have done some decompression but not trimix on it yet. There basically isnt an instruction manual there is a double sided flowchart.

I believe that if peice of technology needs an instruction manual, then it is fundimentally too complex for human beings. The He is just plain simple and intuative to use.

My only gripe is that it is a little big, and if you accidentally jump in the water with it in gauge mode, it stays locked in gauge mode for 48 hours.

I have a VR3 and have been very happy with it.

Chardy:

Regards,

Paul

Hey Paul,

I don't personally have any tri-mix experience, but my brother-in-law has the Oceanic Atom for Tri-Mix/Tech Diving and he seems to really like it.

Mike

Hey Curt,

Love the new avatar dude.

Chardy:

Regards,

Paul

I have an VR3 and its only used as my third backup.

I have several explorers the "abyss explorer" was a version oemed from Hydrospace.. The only version available now is the Hs-explorer..

I routinely use the Hs-explorer for some really extended dives.. A normal dive is around 3 hours or so.. On a recent expedition to Indonesia almost every diver used the explorer.. All dives were in excess of 100m (328fsw) with max depths of 150m (approx 500 fsw).

I personally think the explorer is one of the easiest dive computers to program.. (the big numbers are a definate plus) I agree with Gene resetting the unit away from your deco mix.. also mix 1 is always reset to air..

I have had the explorer as long as anyone out there my original abyss serial # was 3... I also had the first oxygen integrated unit and have tested new versions frequently before they reached consumers.
I had mine changed over to Hs-explore instead since I didn't appreciate the extra conservatism on the abyss version.

The Nitek He is ok for some I guess.. Personally I feel the display is way to small, doesn't support constant po2 and the versions I saw had a really old deco alg embedded (no aparrant deep stops).

I have had the pleasure of seeing the new cochran He in use (one of my dive buddies was using it).. It seems to have a pretty good deco alg (albeit it still need a little bt of tuning (a bit too conservative for my taste)).. The logging functions as usual are still the best around. and its in the familiar bullet proof commander housing.

My choice today would be
Explorer the VR3, when the Cochran is released it would be Explorer, Cochran then VR3.

I use a commander on my shallower dives to do logging (under 375 feet which is the max of the current "nitrox"unit)

There is also another trimix "computer" that I didnt mention.. its the Hammerhead for the inspiration.. Its with me on all CCR dives and I do use it as a standalone computer.. I didn't include it because its part of another "system"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom