Trim with 3 deco cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if it's any use and I'm certainly not telling anyone what to do, I've done a few dozen of these dives on CCR with 3 80s and I like the following setup. I'm sure someone will come along tell me what I'm doing wrong

2 80's on the left side
1 80 on the left side on a leash

I have a big camera which gets clipped off on the right side along with my scooter

I like to put a lot of helium in my gases, it makes the bottles easier to carry and also reduces the weight swing should the bottles need to be breathed down.

The deep bailout I actually use an LP85, with a high helium content it rides pretty nice

@stuartv for the unbalanced feeling earlier in the thread -- I find that using bungees to pull the necks/valves in closer to your chest makes a big difference in how they feel

Do you or do you not analyze all gasses the day of?
Why?

When filled it’s analysed and labelled. Also add some tape over the valve to indicate it’s full. When preparing and attaching the regulator, the pressure's checked as well as the reg. The gas analysis is checked against the computers being used that day.

I find duct tape leaves behind a terrible mess if its left on there for a long time. Some of my fills aren't used for a while if its a bailout gas. The $30 roll of GUE tape is well worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't have thought that but after using it for a while it really lasts a long time. The white duct tape costs about $4 so you are correct on duct tape being less expensive.

I suppose if you are diving open circuit and your gases are constantly being used it would make sense. Have you tried the GUE tape? (I'm not GUE so i'm not advocating any of that training or mindset which is also probably better than most training though - also very much more expensive than standard training)
Try gaffer's tape. The GUE tape is very good. Gaffers tape won't come off and is made to not leave a residue. Sometimes it's even hard to get off after being on a few months. So it won't go anywhere. I follow GUE's labeling procedure, which doesn't require the tape but still gives the same info. If you write it well, it's easy to understand

Why?

When filled it’s analysed and labelled. Also add some tape over the valve to indicate it’s full. When preparing and attaching the regulator, the pressure's checked as well as the reg. The gas analysis is checked against the computers being used that day.
Because it's one last step for safety. I fill my own tanks. They are analyzed as the gas goes through the compressor. I also analyze after the fill and mark. Day of the dive or night before when I pack, I reanalyze. Is it necessary? No. Is it smart and overly cautious? Yes.
I don't want to be the guy everybody knows killed himself because he underanalyzed. I'd rather people think, damn that dude analyzes alot.
I even submitted a procedure change request to GUE because when I did my fundies course they have zero requirement for CO testing, which imo is a mistake. We know of multiple CO deaths and gue is generally on the cutting edge of safety. I was surprised there's no hard requirement for CO testing.

The GUE tape is pointless and forces you to write in little boxes with small text and space for your signature…. Fine of doing loads of fills for an expedition, pointless for my cylinders which I’ve analysed.

50mm/2in duct tape is available in different qualities. The better tape is neater.

TBH I don’t really care how my cylinders look, it’s that I can clearly see the analysis tape and write in large letters. Need a photo…
Examples...
IMG_6843.jpg

Try gaffer's tape.

That is what I am switching to myself. I've been using the typical blue masking tape, but I noticed that it often starts coming off after the dive. Granted it isn't a huge deal as it only really needs to last through that dive. But it would be nice to use something more secure. So I ordered some gaffer's tape, as IME that sticks well, but still comes off easily.

That is what I am switching to myself. I've been using the typical blue masking tape, but I noticed that it often starts coming off after the dive. Granted it isn't a huge deal as it only really needs to last through that dive. But it would be nice to use something more secure. So I ordered some gaffer's tape, as IME that sticks well, but still comes off easily.
I used blue tape for years. It sucks. It always comes off. I have bailout bottles I put gaffer's tape on over a year ago and left as a test. It's still hard to pull it off after probably 65 dives.
I just get the stuff off amazon

That blue masking tape is sold as being easy to remove. The white tape sticks firm especially left for a few days.

Memories of painting gremlin lines** on a sailing boat every season and learning that the more expensive blue tape was worth the money as it would come off leaving a nice straight line. The cheapo tape would tear and sometimes rip the anti fouling paint.

** Gremlin lines - the dark line around the hull just above the waterline. Apparently the gremlins couldn’t climb out of the water and over the gremlin line. My boat had two gremlin lines and didn’t sink once during the many years I owned her.

I used blue tape for years. It sucks. It always comes off. I have bailout bottles I put gaffer's tape on over a year ago and left as a test. It's still hard to pull it off after probably 65 dives.
I just get the stuff off amazon
Agree I found the gaffer to be the best so far. Blue, green masking tapes only work for a dive or a half :)

Because it's one last step for safety. I fill my own tanks. They are analyzed as the gas goes through the compressor. I also analyze after the fill and mark. Day of the dive or night before when I pack, I reanalyze. Is it necessary? No. Is it smart and overly cautious? Yes.
I don't want to be the guy everybody knows killed himself because he underanalyzed. I'd rather people think, damn that dude analyzes alot.
I even submitted a procedure change request to GUE because when I did my fundies course they have zero requirement for CO testing, which imo is a mistake. We know of multiple CO deaths and gue is generally on the cutting edge of safety. I was surprised there's no hard requirement for CO testing.
Same - the exception is liveaboards.

On a liveaboard I haven't necessarily reanalyzed my BOs every day. They were full on day 1, my reg is still on them from yesterday, still have my initials on the tape, they were never hooked up to the compressor or booster or anything, just sitting in "my" portion of the storage rack. I just dive those BOs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom