Trim with 3 deco cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The GUE tape is pointless and forces you to write in little boxes with small text and space for your signature…. Fine of doing loads of fills for an expedition, pointless for my cylinders which I’ve analysed.

50mm/2in duct tape is available in different qualities. The better tape is neater.

TBH I don’t really care how my cylinders look, it’s that I can clearly see the analysis tape and write in large letters. Need a photo…

GUE tape would cost me more than gas :) I analyze my gas the same day when we dive. So the min number of analysis will be twice - at the shop and before the dive, oftentimes the bottle is taken on the dive/boat but not used so have to do it again.

I find duct tape leaves behind a terrible mess if its left on there for a long time. Some of my fills aren't used for a while if its a bailout gas.

Why would it change anything if its a bailout ? Do not you re-analyze it still before each dive ?

Why would it change anything if its a bailout ? Do not you re-analyze it still before each dive ?
Once filled, analyzed, and marked the only one with access to my tanks is me.
I definitely do not re-analyze my bailouts before each dive, I only check that they have enough pressure in them.
If they get used or have to be topped up for some other reason then obviously they would be analyzed and marked accordingly after that.

Once filled, analyzed, and marked the only one with access to my tanks is me.
I definitely do not re-analyze my bailouts before each dive, I only check that they have enough pressure in them.
If they get used or have to be topped up for some other reason then obviously they would be analyzed and marked accordingly after that.

Too much trust, it seems, to be involved in the process.

I analyze my gases before my trips but if I don't require bailout I don't often use a ton of the gas. I think the duct tape is fine, i didn't say that was pointless, i just prefer the GUE tape. I would say i validate the contents of the cylinder but i don't completely relabel the tank just because i re-analyze it. I'm making sure the contents match the label.

When i fill a cylinder i add how much helium i use, then how much oxygen i add which both have a spot on the GUE marking tape. Sometimes i don't add gases one right after the other and sometimes i don't analyze same day either.

Having a prepared tape is great for standardization.

The roll of GUE tape has hundreds of fills so lets be honest, its not going to be used up that quickly. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on dive gear and the tape i mark the tanks with is not one of the high dollar items.. lol... You guys are hilarious. Its like 16 cents a sticker. I can label the 20 tanks i have for a little over 3 dollars.. I mean i guess i don't consider that much money consider i fill my own tanks from gas from a gas supplier. If i was paying for fills at a dive shop with oxygen and helium I might be more concerned or at least expect them to put a gas analysis sticker on there for me.

I label my tanks with blue painter's tape. It comes off with no residue.

It also is a little bit fragile. It holds up fine for a while, but definitely gets torn up faster than duct tape. Which is fine with me.

If the tape has been on there long enough to get beaten up, it's time to re-analyze that gas anyway. For OC deco, not so much an issue, as it would be getting used, refilled, and analyzed anyway. But, for my BO and BO Deco gas, it generally sits unused, so I like to re-analyze periodically anyway.

Also, I put an SPG on my analyzer's flow limiter. And since I want to check tank pressure in my BO before diving, even if it was unused, it's very easy to check the pressure and re-analyze at the same time, just to be sure.

I label my tanks with blue painter's tape. It comes off with no residue.

It also is a little bit fragile. It holds up fine for a while, but definitely gets torn up faster than duct tape. Which is fine with me.

If the tape has been on there long enough to get beaten up, it's time to re-analyze that gas anyway. For OC deco, not so much an issue, as it would be getting used, refilled, and analyzed anyway. But, for my BO and BO Deco gas, it generally sits unused, so I like to re-analyze periodically anyway.

Also, I put an SPG on my analyzer's flow limiter. And since I want to check tank pressure in my BO before diving, even if it was unused, it's very easy to check the pressure and re-analyze at the same time, just to be sure.
Do you or do you not analyze all gasses the day of?

I use the blue painter's tape. It lasts quite awhile for me. I (re)analyze before I pack my truck to go diving but I don't always peel off the sticker and write out a fresh one.

I do it that way in part because my helium analyzer plugs into the wall and I like to pack my truck ahead of time and not be rushed the morning of a dive. Nothing leaves my garage and goes in the tuck without getting analyzed. The only exception is suit gas which is labelled "argon do not breathe" but is either air or 32% depending on if I filled it off my compressor or off my banks, either way I don't really care about the O2 percentage in my suit gas as long as it's not o2 or something trimixy

Do you or do you not analyze all gasses the day of?

Not always.

For example, if I go diving for a week, I will analyze and re-label (even if there is no change other than the date) everything before the first dive. If I don't use my BO/deco on day 1, then I would generally not re-analyze before diving on day 2. That is presuming my cylinders were well-controlled between day 1's dives and day 2's - e.g. if they come off the boat and go into the back of my truck over night, they are well-controlled - if they come off the boat and get left somewhere where someone could mess with them, they are not well-controlled.

I would always analyze before heading off on a trip. If I analyze and put them in my truck, then drive, etc., and don't do my first dive until 3 days later, but they've been in my truck the whole time, I would probably not re-analyze them on the morning of - assuming they were not filled just before putting them in my truck in the first place. If I fill, analyze, and put them straight into my truck to take on a trip, then I would definitely analyze them again the day of or the night before. I generally like analyzing the night before, so I have more time to fix problems if I find any. Then just check the pressure on the day of (multiple times).

Back
Top Bottom