Trim Weights for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Threading the weights into the webbing is the way alot of people do it for trim weight. These are one lb weights on each side. It is more common to use two lb weights on each side.

031.jpg

I would take a piece of two inch webbing and put a couple grouments that line up with the holes in the back of SMS100. Either string on some XSScuba pockets or if you have old weight belt laying around use the pockets off of it. A couple of sex bolts or books screws and attach to the back of SMS100 and you have trim and weight pockets that only cost a couple of bucks to make.

There are two issues here - the DR weight pouches and trim.

The pouch works great but is intended to add weight (for cold water diving, etc) and is designed not to alter trim much if at all. The pouch is also designed to be worn with the pockets facing the Nomad with the slick side up. I used to use the above mentioned sex bolted weight belt method before the pouch came out, but the pouch is greatly preferred as it provides less opportunity to get your self stuck or ratcheted into a tight space. If you are just doing recreational SM dives then it is no big deal.

Many divers use shoulder trim weights and some divers even need them. However I would treat that as a last resort option. Before you do that, ensure the harness/wing is riding properly, snug up the bungee on the upper part of the wing, and ensure the tanks are configured so they ride right behind your arm pits (i.e. as far forward as possible without hanging low or interfering with arm movement). you might also consider lighter fins if you are still trimming stern low.

Personally, I also removed all the back and shoulder padding (as well as the extra shoulder D-rings) on my Nomad to reduce it's profile, but I feel it also improves the trim. The only time you'd really need the back pad with a Nomad would be if you were diving it backmount with a single tank, other wise it's just extra fluff.

If you've done all that and are still not properly trimmed then you could consider trim weights. Otherwise you'll try them and discover when you either get more experience or correct other underlying trim related problems that you don't really need them.

If you need them, try to find the old school weights that you could slip into the middle of a weight belt as they are so much easier to add and remove and do not require rethreading the whole harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom