Trim weight where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive a BP/W and am 5'0". Tropical waters only.
Towards the end of my dives, my feet float up. I don't think ankle weights are a good idea, especially because of currents. So where am I left with to put trim weights? I did try moving weights on the belt to the back & that didn't help.

Thanks in advance!

Positioning weight can help, but eventually you should be able to compensate for weight no matter where it is. If weight is already on your hips (or close), it's just a question of using your body to stay in position. Angle your legs down just a bit by picking up your head a little (rather than by dropping your knees).

So, it is a matter of core strength?

You can also try moving the tank down a little. Tank position affects your trim too.

However, since it's only at the end of your dives, if you're using an aluminum tank, they become "butt light" as they empty. In other words, the bottom of the tank becomes more floaty and so can your feet. Are you almost depleting the tank regularly or is it possible to have a larger reserve? Otherwise possibly a larger tank or a steel tank?

Us petite women often need to not bend our legs as much at the knee, because our centre of gravity changes much more than taller people, and we end up being head heavy. So try straightening your legs a little and experiment with body position.

Are you sure you're foot light? Being in horizontal trim often feels like we have floaty feet. If you have seen yourself on video or in photos, you can confirm if what it feels like is actually what it looks like.

Good luck!

Yup.....I will invert without effort.

Won't be buying steel tanks! I fly 1/2 way around the world to dive :)

We tried moving the tank, but due to my lack of height there is not much room for drastic changes.

The only real fix I see is putting the ankle weights on at the end of the dive????

image.jpg That's me on the left!

See how your fins are pointing up vertically? That is usually a sign that you're unbalanced and are trying to compensate. Yes, usually head heavy or not wearing enough weight to maintain a 10 foot stop with a depleted tank at the end of the dive and using your fins to maintain position.

Do you have any weight up high or in any higher trim pockets? If so, you could try moving those lower.

It's too bad you can't use steel tanks. I use HP steel 80 tanks which fit my petite frame perfectly and allow me to place the tank wherever I need it without hitting my head on the valve or the back of my legs on the tank. Previously I used an AL 63 for the same purpose, but I had an extremely low SAC as did my usual buddy, and we finished our dives with around half a tank remaining. YMMV.

Last edited:
No weight other than on the belt.

I can do a safety stop with 50 bar.
If adding weight will improve my position, I'll happily go that route.

It'll be a matter of trying various things and observing the effect. You could try adding 2 lbs and see how that goes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom