Trim weight advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbletrubble, thought about what you said about pockets on shoulder straps and you're probably right...might cause trouble with strap movement by pulling down, or at least be uncomfortable, no?
I have chest D-rings with stuff mounted on them in that region. I prefer to keep my front unobstructed if possible, and I think that the weight would just get in the way. Also, the weight being there could promote a face-plant position when I'm vertical at the surface (not that I'm in that position often).

Some recreational jacket BCDs might have attachment points on the top of the rigid backplate that would allow fastening some small trim weights. You'd have to think creatively, though.

The BC set high on the tank is probably contributing to your trimming foot heavy. Another possible solution is to change one of you cam bands to a more positive griping band such as the ScubaMax latching cam band. One of these when properly adjusted will hold your tank securely without even the need for wetting it before use. This would allow you to put a pair of pockets on your upper band without worrys about a loose tank.

I dont mean to point fingers but the questions you are asking and the comments you are making are not from a diver with 200 to 499 dives what is your skill level? I suggest YOU think the problem less and dive more and the worries should work themself out. not ment to be rude just making a point.

I was just at BTS and saw equipment we simply do not get here (like a kid in a candy shop), thus thinking of alternatives that are essentially foreign to me. You guys do not know what it's like to not be able to try on BCs, wetsuits, etc prior to purchase OR having to make a trip to another country in order to have any selection. To answer someone else's question, I dive a 7MM with 10 kilos of weight, and an AL80. Need the weight for the safety stop, but will try the BC down on the tank a bit. Hate getting hit in the head and when others have strapped my tank low is when I've lost it at depth (twice). Yes, I know I am responsible for checking and no, I no longer allow anyone to do it for me anymore. And ps...my current 'working' distribution is 4 kilos in trim pockets on back (2 each), 4 in pockets (2 each) and a 2 kilo weight stuffed into the bra of my bathing suit. Should've brought a sea pearl back for comfort..:)

To answer udtfire, thanks for the concern, but I disagree. I don't think there is such a thing as a stupid question and regardless, I don't mind looking foolish if I learn something. By your standards, no experienced diver should ever call a dive lest they lose face. I logged 144 dives in the Galapagos since this time last year and anticipate more this year. Certified in 1993 with California, Cozumel, Texas Flower Gardens, Florida, etc in years past. And seriously, my equipment shopping (and especially any gadgets) was limited to seeing what outside divers came with. :) Trim pockets? Ankle weights? Down here, I know local DMs with thousands of dives 'logged' who had never even heard of the Sherwood brand.

I do what I can with what I have, but after my trip to NYC last week, well, I'm overwhelmed by the options we just don't have. And excited by them at the same time.

Last edited:
I was just at BTS and saw equipment we simply do not get here (like a kid in a candy shop), thus thinking of alternatives that are essentially foreign to me. You guys do not know what it's like to not be able to try on BCs, wetsuits, etc prior to purchase OR having to make a trip to another country in order to have any selection. To answer someone else's question, I dive a 7MM with 10 kilos of weight, and an AL80. Need the weight for the safety stop, but will try the BC down on the tank a bit. Hate getting hit in the head and when others have strapped my tank low is when I've lost it at depth (twice). Yes, I know I am responsible for checking and no, I no longer allow anyone to do it for me anymore. And ps...my current 'working' distribution is 4 kilos in trim pockets on back (2 each), 4 in pockets (2 each) and a 2 kilo weight stuffed into the bra of my bathing suit. Should've brought a sea pearl back for comfort..:)

To answer udtfire, thanks for the concern, but I disagree. I don't think there is such a thing as a stupid question and regardless, I don't mind looking foolish if I learn something. By your standards, no experienced diver should ever call a dive lest they lose face. I logged 144 dives in the Galapagos since this time last year and anticipate more this year. Certified in 1993 with California, Cozumel, Texas Flower Gardens, Florida, etc in years past. And seriously, my equipment shopping (and especially any gadgets) was limited to seeing what outside divers came with. :) Trim pockets? Ankle weights? Down here, I know local DMs with thousands of dives 'logged' who had never even heard of the Sherwood brand.

I do what I can with what I have, but after my trip to NYC last week, well, I'm overwhelmed by the options we just don't have. And excited by them at the same time.

Your profile says you're based in Ecuador. Why would you need to dive in a 7mm wetsuit? The thicker the wetsuit the more buoyancy and trim problems.

If you do need to dive such a thick wetsuit, I suggest you go to HP steel tank, which will allow you to drop 7 lbs of lead while improving trim.

Adam

Your profile says you're based in Ecuador. Why would you need to dive in a 7mm wetsuit? The thicker the wetsuit the more buoyancy and trim problems.

If you do need to dive such a thick wetsuit, I suggest you go to HP steel tank, which will allow you to drop 7 lbs of lead while improving trim.

Adam

She mostly dives in the Galapagos, I believe. Colder water and I suspect steel tanks are not commonly available.

Selkie's right. Either 4 dives a day in 75F (24C) water with the occasional thermocline or 2-3 dives a day in what can include lengthy 59 F (15C) thermoclines. Beginning an itinerary to what's called the 'icebox' later this year. Have often seen divers in dry suits. Almost all use a hood. I don't, but recently did buy a beanie in anticipation of the icebox. Have hit thermoclines it took forever to swim out of when I wished I was diving with a hood.

Selkie...did you get cold diving 5mm? Did you have a vest underneath?

Hatul...we get the Humboldt Current up from Antarctica. I believe it was Charles Darwin who actually first published that Ecuador is the coldest place on the equator. Without low water temps, I doubt we would have penguins or hammerheads or many of the species we have.

And again, lack of selection ends up determining much down here. There may be steel tanks here, but I haven't seen them. Probably due to them being more expensive to buy and ship. Like any island you have to ship things to, it drives the price up even more.

I finally did get to try on wetsuits last week and buy one that fits properly, a new 7mm, after having 2 shipped down since November, neither of which fit. I reiterate, I do not think the concept of our limitations is one that most can id with. When I went to NY, I had a shopping list for DM friends that included things like tank parts, regulator parts, etc...unavailable in Ecuador, not just the Galapagos.

So we have no choice but to 'think' equipment through. Thanks again to those who helped.

Selkie...did you get cold diving 5mm? Did you have a vest underneath?

I was fine with just the 5mm, but I am generally pretty cold tolerant. I did wear a 3mm hooded vest underneath at the anchorage at Wolf.

Good luck with your trim weight issues. At the risk of opening a can of worms, you might also consider a backplate and wing, if you're going to have to order something anyway. Not sure if you remember, but that's what I was using last fall. Plenty of info here on SB about those if you want to research it.

Cheers!

Last edited:
8mm would do it. It's also warmer up there than the central islands or western route...like 30F+ warmer than the temps west of Isabela..maybe not The Anchorage, but that's mainly the depth, no? I thought about a BP/W, but talk about research and then there's the total lack of availability here. My sense is that I would always be ordering things and then imposing on folks to bring whatever down, so I just decided not to. Do like the back inflate though, so probably would like it and a steel backplate is appealing. I vaguely remember your set up...think it was from a SoCal company, no?

8mm would do it. It's also warmer up there than the central islands or western route...like 30F+ warmer than the temps west of Isabela..maybe not The Anchorage, but that's mainly the depth, no? I thought about a BP/W, but talk about research and then there's the total lack of availability here. My sense is that I would always be ordering things and then imposing on folks to bring whatever down, so I just decided not to. Do like the back inflate though, so probably would like it and a steel backplate is appealing. I vaguely remember your set up...think it was from a SoCal company, no?

Yes, Deep Sea Supply, they're excellent.

Back
Top Bottom