Triangle Wrecks 20 August 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaBluedolphin:
And people get all judgemental of me when I simply say I don't shore dive...enough said....glad you got out though.
It was just a matter of applying a little brute force and ignorance. :)

I was in the ocean today in kitty hawk and it was nice.. I really wish I would have brought my dive gear along. My step-son and I are thinking about snorkeling the triangle wrecks this week. How do I find it?

Thanks

UnixSage:
I was in the ocean today in kitty hawk and it was nice.. I really wish I would have brought my dive gear along. My step-son and I are thinking about snorkeling the triangle wrecks this week. How do I find it?

Thanks
Second street near Milepost Seven. There is normally a bouy.

Don Burke:
Second street near Milepost Seven. There is normally a bouy.

Adding a little extra to Don's reply. The parking lot which is almost directly opposite the Triangle Wrecks has a small dive plaque on it. Look out for that. Then as Don says the wreck is bouyed about 100 yards out directly in front of the beach entrance (there is a life guard station there as well)

Next weekend is not a possibility for me. The next time I can dive is going to be the 17th and I believe I am going to do a boat dive out of Va Beach with DrSteve and Skip.

jgarysmith:
OK, Seems This Sat is not a good day so I am taking it back.

Gary
Let us go to plan "B".

I have a function to attend on September 11. Other than that, the weekends are fair game for quite a while.

I went out around the 22nd to dive the Huron. Walked out onto the boardwalk to guage conditions and saw a diver on the bouy and several more being swept south off the wreck. I was a little concerned as I saw one diver appearing to be trying to swim to another diver. As I was watching to determine if they needed help I saw one deploy his safety sausage. I stopped a passing lifeguard on an ATV and alerted him to this situation. The divers ended up grabbing onto the pier pilings south of the wreck. They were assisted in by lifeguards.
After the swim and the walk back up the beach, one guy looked exhausted and within a half hour or so he began looking worse. The couple of people who got out to the wreck had a good dive. Those that missed the bouy and got in a south current got worn out trying to fight it. The one diver did end up being administered O2 by the DM and ended up being transported to the hospital by ambulance. It is best to go north past the bouys when the current is like that. There is a cottage with a gazebo that makes a good entry point. Often the current does not hit you until you are about 100-200 feet from the wreck. If you should miss the bouy, and are close to it, you can take a compass heading and get to it on the bottom without too much trouble. I have gotten close to it before and the current got me and I would blow off the dive and come in. The triangle wreck is a lot shorter swim and a good alternative dive if the Huron wreck conditions are too much work. I don't think the diver that went to the hospital ever managed to dive the wreck. I believe he was just tired from the swim and trying to beat the current. I hope eveything worked out OK for him and it was nothing serious.

james croft:
I went out around the 22nd to dive the Huron.

Always welcome to join us on a future expedition :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom