Treadmill incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_pirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just endured a treadmill incident that crippled me and put me on crutches. It was a wake up call about exercise. I have been diving all summer and went to the gym to resume exercise. I did a 22 minute fast walk at 3.5 mph by 3.5 incline as a easy warm up. Two days later I could not walk without crutches as I could not put weight on my knee to walk.

What I learned: HMO's are incompetent. They provided me a "flexol" muscle relaxer and Advil. One relaxer pill and I could not speak, drive or walk the following day but it did not help the knee. Two days later with the same pain I Bypassed the HMO and went to a physical therapest. A couple of simple stretches and light exercises and I was able to walk away without crutches. I was shocked. I fully resumed walking normal in three days.

Lesson(s) learned -- the treadmill at a steep angle should not be done more than a few minutes at a time unless you are in top condition. I understand its bad on the cartlidge; HMO's are a waste of time and money; The initial care givers are not well prepared to do anything other than prescribe drugs that mask symptoms. -- Most important, Stretching is essential both before and after exercise.
Hope my experience helps.
DP

Sounds like retropatella pain syndrome or "runner's knee". Some folks are prone to it, possibly due to conformation, but new runners can get it too.

But without examining you, it is just a wild guess. I would not blame it on HMO. First ask the qualification of your doc - is it a board certified family doctor, or is it a jack in the box doctor who is just moon lighting for money.

FP's are generally better at sports medicine than internist. And of course, physical therapists and orthopedics surgeons are better than FP's at orthopedic problems.

You get what you pay for... Next time, see an orthopedist, or a sport medicine qualified family doctor. You will get better treatment and care. HMO's are cheap, and if you navigate through it correctly, will get you good care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom