Travis - Sunday 4/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Report from news 8 Austin:
UT student drowns in Lake Travis
4/9/2006 12:04 PM
By: News 8 Austin Staff

A UT student is dead after an accidental drowning in Lake Travis on Saturday. The 21-year-old man was swimming with friends at Windy Point just before 6 p.m. when he yelled for help and went under.

The friends pulled him up from the water and gave him CPR. Despite their efforts, he died half an hour later at Brackenridge Hospital.

Officials say this tragedy is a reminder to those visiting the popular destination to take safety precautions.

"Lake Travis is not your backyard swimming pool. The bottom of the lake is very uneven. There's brush, trees, rocks - all kinds of things in the water. It's not a perfectly safe place to swim,” Travis County Sheriff's Office spokesman Roger Wade said.

Officials also say the cloudy water at Lake Travis is another safety concern.

The drowning victim was from Houston. His name hasn't been released.

I don't take the daily paper or listen to local news...not sure why that would keep divers out of the water, tho.

There were probably 50-60 swimmers off the point, the news apparently didn't affect their decision to go in.

It definitely wasn't one of my guys... He wasn't a scuba diver from the reports I hear, but magically there were divers on scene that pulled him up. He was trying to swim out to the island that's appearing off the easement launch. It doesn't seem that far, and isn't too deep at all, but it definitely is a refresher course on the dangers of the lake.

As for Cyklon's comment: I know there were investigators out there until the wee hours of the morning doing their stuff on the body and scene and such. I'm sure most of the people out there didn't want to come the day after such bad news, since its mostly locals that dive out there. Personally, I would have been diving Barstows that day if I was going out. But I had my fun on Friday, so no issues there.

it would be somehow 'insensitive' to dive where a fatality occurred or that divers would be emotionally affected by diving at the recovery site...sorry, but I'm not following your comments.

The fact that someone anonymous to me died has zero bearing on my dive plans.

Back
Top Bottom