travelpac backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do you use for a backplate in the travelpac? Is is a soft rollable/flexible plate or light metal plate? If metal, what's the weight? Can't find that info anywhere.
Thanks

the travelpac is designed similar to the Transpac harnesses but the wing is integrated. While it is fabric, it is not "rollable" per se and I would avoid trying to roll it if at all possible.

You clearly haven't looked "everywhere" because the manufacturers website includes the weight under the tech specs. *just under 6lbs
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TravelPac BCD

Personally I don't like this rig, and would recommend you look elsewhere

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dive-rite-hunterpac-bcd
While not as "recreational" looking as the travelpac, I do believe that this is a superior product in their range and for those looking for a singles only rig, this one really can't be beat if you want to avoid the traditional BP/W route.

Thanks Tbone.
Of course I went to their website and saw the weight of the rig. Was asking about the weight of the plate (had it been metal - since they never describe the plate).
What don't you like about the travelpac? I did look at the hunterpac as well and it looked pretty nice but more lift than I need.

deleted, recommendation was not a DR product... my bad... didn't notice the forum of the post

there isn't a plate listed because there is no plate, it is a integrated rig like the other back inflate bc's. It isn't a backplate and wing. If you want the modularity you have to go to another system which is more costly because there is more involved in producing the modular systems.

Like the description says, this is a combination of the Transpac and the Travel wing, but to reduce cost, complexity, and weight, they have been combined into one unit. The hunterpac despite having 35lbs of lift, is a more streamlined unit and imho much better in general, but to each his own.
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TransPac XT Tech
This was one of their best products and it got retired early, but most of the design came back with the Hunterpac. It's a brilliant rig for someone who is only doing light recreational diving.

Back
Top Bottom