Travelling through the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decodiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this subject has been discussed previously but I need to clarify some matters from those in the know.

On Friday I am leading a UK expedition to the Solomons, all of us will be travelling with CCRs with tanks stored in our checked in Baggage with the valves removed. We will transit through LA then onto NZ.

First question.

Do homeland security verify your hold luggage in your presence?

As we will be using Inspiration boxes and Oceanic Gear Gulpers to store the kit can we lock these with padlocks?

If not what is the preferred method to stop our kit getting stolen?

Any advice from those who have recently transitted through LA would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Dave

>>>Do homeland security verify your hold luggage in your presence?

Nope they go through behind closed doors

>As we will be using Inspiration boxes and Oceanic Gear Gulpers to store the kit can >we lock these with padlocks?

They will cut the locks off

>If not what is the preferred method to stop our kit getting stolen?

Try TSA approved locks that they can open without cutting - they *might* be nice enough to relock the case - but there is no guarantee.

So when you say TSA locks what exactly are they?

Secondly they might be nice enough to put the locks back on?

Will we get to see the boxes once they have been checked or does all this go on behind closed doors?

I guess I am worried that if the boxes are not correctly closed that we are going to lose all our kit.

Decodiver:

Will we get to see the boxes once they have been checked or does all this go on behind closed doors?

I guess I am worried that if the boxes are not correctly closed that we are going to lose all our kit.

TSA Locks are locks that are approved by the TSA which have the ability for them to open ( a master key I believe) without damaging the lock. You probably won't be able to buy them anywhere but in the States....maybe online?

In theory, if they have a problem closing it they are supposed to page you...but, who knows. I haven't had any problems with my Pelican cases not being secured and stuff strewn about the hold...then again, I am not sure they actually ever open them...with all of your gear, there is a good chance they will.

Decodiver:

I stopped locking my gear a while ago (I just insured everything through Dan) .. I can't remember a trip where my gear hasn't been checked..

If you are worries ziptie your gear, they will cut those open bot dont expect them to reseal it..

If they have a problem they will usually page you.. make sure you bring a bag you can put your cylinders in and the printout from the TSA site incase you have to fight to get the cylinder into your carry on baggage.. make sure you REMOVE the valves, and if you put any type of plugs in them make sure they can be removed without any tools otherwise you definately will have an issue.

Will 2nd that, padiscubapro

I move between Middle East and U.S. regularly with ziptied pelican cases (no locks). TSA has always re-ziptied the cases for me and included a pre-printed note saying that my bag had been inspected.

A zip tie is just as effective a deterrent for airline luggage as a lock, which can easily be cut with a short pair of bolt cutters by a determined thief.

Decodiver:
Hi All,

Do homeland security verify your hold luggage in your presence?

As we will be using Inspiration boxes and Oceanic Gear Gulpers to store the kit can we lock these with padlocks?Dave

I travel quit a few times through Miami, Houston and Dallas on all of this terminals you were required to bring your suit cases to TSA, at that stage you had an option of leaving or staying there to see the inspection. If your suit case was locked TSA agent will ask if the owner of the suit case is present, if not, they will cut the lock. If you provide them the key or combination they will open it inspect it in your present and re-lock it.

Dear All

Thanks for your advice, between you guys and the Inspiration list I got it covered.

So next week the USS Atlanta and the USS Aaron Ward....

Bring it on.................................................................

Kind regards

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom