Travelling the Koh's to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zynyx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is less a dive question and more a logistics question. I'm planning to head to fly to Krabi on my way to Koh Lanta December 24th in the evening (Arriving 7:30pm~) and want to head to Koh Lanta that evening if possible. I can't seem to find the ferry schedules!

I'm planning to spend two days in Koh Lanta, then head over to Koh Tao to meet some dive buddies and chill for the New Year. So in addition to needing to know if it is possible to get to Koh Lanta that evening after the flight, I'm also looking to plan a travel route from Koh Lanta to Koh Tao.

Any help finding ferry schedules or planning to travel from Krabi to Koh Tao would be appreciated.

Getting to Koh Tao:
Take a bus from Krabi to Suratthani. Any travel agent in Krabi can supply you a ticket. In Suratthani you can take the 23:00 nightboat straight to Koh Tao. Or you can take the bus in the early morning to Don Sak followed by the boat to Samui, Phangan and Tao (Lomprayah bus+boat).

Are you sure you want to spend 2 days in Lanta. I ask this due to the logistics problem you are concerned about. To get to Koh Tao from Koh Lanta will be a long involved haul with various means of transportation. Why not go straight to Koh Tao, or spend more time in Koh Lanta before heading to Koh Tao? Or perhaps straight to Koh Tao, and then go to Koh Lanta?

It's fine--you can get to Lanta the same night that you arrive. What I'd do if I were you is to book a car-speedboat combo from the airport directly to Koh Lanta. The cost is around THB 2000 and the journey takes about 2.5 hours. The mini-van service that will take you on the car ferry for a pittance (THB 350) makes its last trip at 5 pm, so you can't use that option. And the latest passenger ferry that goes from Krabi to Lanta departs Ao Nang at 3-ish, so that won't work either.

As to getting to Koh Tao from Lanta, it depends on how adventurous you are and how much of your time you want to dedicate to the crossing. It can take an entire day and even overnight if the times don't align well. Personally, I'd fly from Krabi to Samui and take the ferry from there to Tao. There's only one flight, by Bangkok Airways, and it should cost something like THB 3000 for a 50 minute flight. Getting to the Krabi airport will be simple, and getting from Samui airport to the ferry bound for Tao is also simple.

There's a BKK Air flight (the only company that services that route) 26th and 28th December but not on the 27th, that flight arrives at 14.35 on Samui, so that same day you won't make the connection by ferry to Koh Tao from Samui. Last ferries will have left already before you can get to the pier after you picked up your luggage and get in a cab.
Price 3,000.-THB.

Wow, thanks for the responses! Very helpful so far, so I guess it is time I add some specifics about my trip...

I'm arriving on the 20th and said Dive Buddies and I are going to Cambodia on the 21st. We're going to chill for a few days, then I'm planning to head back and fly down to Krabi on the 24th. The reason I'm dead set on Koh Lanta is because I've heard it is near two of the top dive sites in Thailand (Hin Daeng & Hin Muang) which are supposed to be amazing for Manta and Whale Shark spotting. I'm dying to try and catch some big game on my camera, so it seems like the place to dive.

Unfortunately, I can't talk my friends into Koh Lanta and we want to be able to check out the Full Moon Festival on Koh Phagnan, so we really need to be down in the Koh Tao area by Dec 27th no matter what (My friends and I are all going for further certifications, one of us is getting his OW there). I doubt there is a good alternative to Hin Daeng or Hin Muang, but can anyone recommend a good dive spot in Cambodia? Perhaps it would be better to extend my trip there and get some diving in before I head down to the Koh's?

Sidenote: I've rearranged my plans a bit, I could realistically arrive any time of day (Morning or evening) on the 24th to Krabi Airport. Quero, you say the Mini-Van service is 350 baht? Can I get that right outside of the airport without a reservation? Will I have room for my dive gear and a small bag with 2-3 days worth of clothes? (I'd send my larger one along with my friends as they head to the other Koh's if I did this).

Over the last few months, Sail Rock (in between Phangan and Tao) has been a home for bull sharks and Chumphon Pinnacle (north of Tao) is visited almost daily by whale sharks.
If you're lucky, that will still be the case by the end of december.

Matt, if you can arrive at Krabi airport at any time of day, get there as early in the morning as you can and then take a taxi to Krabi town to get the passenger ferry to Lanta. This is the best option both in terms of time and expense.

The mini-van + car ferry combo doesn't automatically pick up at the airport, but it will stop there for you if your Lanta hotel has pre-booked it for you. Otherwise you have to get to Krabi town and catch the mini-van from there. If you're going to take a taxi to Krabi town anyway, it's much better to take the passenger ferry than the van + car ferry because the van trip may take as much as 5 hours or more. The passenger ferry is just a couple of hours. The passenger ferry departs at 11:00 am. The car ferry goes all day long (6 am to 10 pm) and the mini-van departs Krabi every hour up to 5 pm.

The best way to book tickets is simply to get your Lanta hotel to do it all for you. They will then know exactly what time you get to Saladan on Lanta and they'll go pick you up on your arrival.

Back
Top Bottom