Traveling with no gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Probably the wrong spot for this question, but anyhow.. I travel for work a good bit, and certainly don’t have time to dive most trips. How much of an issue is it to rent everything to dive for a day? For example: if I’m going to florida and end up with an extra day, is it simple enough to find a boat with an open spot and rent all gear? Such a simple question I almost feel dumb asking.

IF you find a boat last minute that has a spot then the LDS they are connected to will have gear to rent. Figure ~$100 for the rental.

If you think you might have time for diving pack your computer if you have one. Life is better that way.

Edit: forgot to include mask on the "bring your own" list

Probably the wrong spot for this question, but anyhow.. I travel for work a good bit, and certainly don’t have time to dive most trips. How much of an issue is it to rent everything to dive for a day? For example: if I’m going to florida and end up with an extra day, is it simple enough to find a boat with an open spot and rent all gear? Such a simple question I almost feel dumb asking.
Yes that works as long as you have your certification card. Some operators may require you to do a refresher if you haven't dived in more than 6 months or a year.

Owning at least your own mask will make your life much better, however. Having your own computer you are familiar with will make it much safer. Some shops may not rent out all equipment so always good to check. Some shops don't rent out masks or computers, so you would need your own.

A
IF you find a boat last minute that has a spot then the LDS they are connected to will have gear to rent. Figure ~$100 for the rental.

If you think you might have time for diving pack your computer if you have one. Life is better that way.

Edit: forgot to include mask on the "bring your own" list
I’m glad I asked. Yes it would suck diving without my mask and computer. I’ll try to bring those along if I think diving is a remote possibility, they don’t take much room

A

I’m glad I asked. Yes it would suck diving without my mask and computer. I’ll try to bring those along if I think diving is a remote possibility, they don’t take much room
mask/computer. And a watch/wrist mounted computer is ideal, no consoles if possible

Maybe you plan on this already but I’d at least take my own mask.

If I go somewhere … where I know there MIGHT be a diving opportunity..
I always bring my own gear… I know where it’s been, whose mouth has been on it … and who all has NOT peed the wetsuit.

Sometimes it sucks … but rather have it and not need than need and not have ..

I always try to fit in everything when I go somewhere though…

I often end up in a similar situation and I usually pack my mask, my dive computer (it’s a garmin so I use it as a smart watch daily, bringing it anyways), and my SMB with the double ender and spool if I am going to a place that I will need it.

The SMB is because usually they charge you a lot to get one last minute in a dive shop and you will need to adjust the spools.

The above was pretty easy to give me a comfortable dive last time I went to LA for work.
________
If I know I almost for sure will be diving, I bring everything except tanks and weights. That may include my dry suit if I need it. However, I wont pack my undergarment. I will bring a few pieces of merino wool clothing I can wear during the daytime, and wear them as undergarments. Learned it from the Russians.

This set gave me pretty good experiences worldwide, as long as I ask in advance to know if the shops is din/yoke only to bring the correct set of regulators.

Edit: also swimsuit if I am not bringing dry suit.

Most recent trip to Hawaii with friends and family was a 5-day trip but only one day for diving. Rented everything except mask and dive computer from them for the entire day. Two others dragged their entire setup and had to deal with wet booties and wet wetsuits. Not me.

Contrast that with Cayman trip the year before where we there to dive for 4 entire days. At that point, I also brought my entire setup with me because it just was better to have my own gear for that many days.

It's a judgement call.

These days you don't even have to carry your C-card... they can look it up most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom