Traveling with canister light in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted the following post in the Lights forum and did not get much feedback, so I am trying the General Asia forum now...Thanks for any feedback..

I have read some of the threads regarding traveling with canister lights but some of these threads are a little old and I thought that I would ask for some more recent experience.
My light is an mb-sub and the canister is factory-sealed and does not open (at least I think since the manual does refer to opening the canister). I will be traveling to South East Asia in November with stops in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand. What has your recent experience been with traveling with a canister light to these countries? Is it best to put the canister part in the checked luggage rather than having the complete system in the carry-on? Is the risk of having to leave the light behind at some airport too great to be worth it?

Mine has a plastic carry case (like a Pellican case with foam inserts, but not leakproof) so I just put it in checked baggage along with the rest of my dive gear. The carry case makes is so bulky that it competes with other things I'd prefer to carry on (camera gear). My advice is to check it, but if you don't have a case to protect it, get one. The bigger problem with these lights is making sure you have the right outlet to plug the power pack into for recharging. Make sure you take along adapters that match your plug.

Since I check mine, I can't say whether security scanning will create problems, but anything electronic that isn't easily recognizable on the scanner screen does tend to get you stopped at the x-ray machine stage.

Back
Top Bottom