Traveling with camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My own system-
1) 1 softside backpack with wheels. It helps my back but if I have to use both hands for something else, I carry it on my back and it's not that heavy as the weight is evenly destributed. This backpack will have my housing, 2 camera bodies, 1 fisheye zoom lens, 1 105 mm macro, pocket size raincoat, camera battery charger, 2 compact dive computers, epson multimedia viewer, spare memory cards. Nothing big (except of course the housing) that will not fit in number 2) if I have to transfer them there because the check-in counter agent is checking the size and weight of the carryon. Before I get in line for the check-in, I stand on the sidelines for a few minutes, watching what the airline employees are doing.

2) photographer's vest. I place travel size toiletries, copies of travel documents (the originals go in to the pockets of my cargo pants), point and shot camera for land shots, quick start guides- all small items to leave most of the pockets empty for items to be transferred from my carryon if I see the check-in agents are weighing the carryons.

3) a separate bag with my small laptop. Although, I have never been charged for this, at times I don't bring my laptop but use my epson multimedia viewer to review/make copies of my pictures and to delete those that are without a doubt, not keepers.

4) 2 checked-in luggage. Everything else are packed in here. I use multiple see-thru plastic containers with latched covers to organize my things used in underwater photography, numbering each container according to impotance of use and labeling what items are in each container. So container number 1 & 2 have all the items I definitely would need to assemble my rig and container number 4 & 5 would be like duplicates or spares, dive light, etc. I separate the strobes in 2 containers and put them in separate luggage. All duplicates/spares also go to the second luggage.

If possible, I fly in to cities where I don't need domestic flights to reach my final destination but make use of land transfers or modern ferries to get to the resort or live-aboard. For example, if my destination is Dumaguete, Philippines (or Bohol, Philippines) I will fly with Cathay Pacific or Korean Airlines from the US and land in Cebu. I will then take the SuperCat or Ocean Jet ferry to my final destination. This will avoid overweight charges which dometic flights are notorious of and allow me an extra day of diving as I don't have to worry about offgassing just for the domestic flight alone.

Back
Top Bottom