Traveling with camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy you were lucky. The story line we have been given from Qantas and others is they only allow 17lbs in overhead due to safety and have not allowed us to pay extra.

I use a Pelican 1510 with the same inserts that are shown in allison Finch's picture for my carry-on and I also have a backpack with my reg, computer, books, etc as my personal item that I place under my seat. If the plane is not full, I also store the backpack in the overhead bins. I have never had my carry-on weighed and have never had a problem taking both on the plane.

Regards,

Bill

Since I use a few different things compared to the stuff posted so far, I'll mention them.

My main carry on is a normal luggage roller carry-on. I feel the pelican-stle cases aren't worth the weight and is like having a giant box that screams "Expensive stuff inside: Steal Me!" I don't use a divider system and find I can get more in using wraps around each item (like these 72211Y Domke F-34R, 11" x 11" Protective Wrap, Yellow. or a t-shirt.) This holds most of my UW camera gear. I keep my main camera in the housing, but not latched. I try to pack heavier stuff (strobes) at the bottom so they don't crush anything when I'm rolling the case around.

My second bag, which kinda pushes the size limits for a personal item is a Lowepro DryZone backpack similar in size to what mofongo_max posted, but the main compartment is waterproof. I will often put my larger lenses and backup camera in this bag.

This worked well for most flights, but I really had trouble with Air Pacific. They were enforcing one carry on max weight 7kg. For this I used the DryZone, but had to take out all the lenses, all the spare batteries, and the camera and hide them in my pockets.

Allison -

If this is your carry-on, where do your computer, reg set, and mask go?

My primary computer is a watch type and is on my wrist. My reg is in my checked bag, my computer is in my shoulder bag carry-on. I check all my dive gear and have, over many years and many LONG distant trips, have had no problems (knocking on wood).

If I lost my prescription mask.........

When I travel, I am with other divers when we check in. We put our rolling carry-ons off to the side with one of the divers watching them. We all check in without them. Then the diver watching the camera cases checks in. It solves the agent eyeing those bags. In Brisbane, however, they will snag you as you change planes. They might gate check the bag (my experience) OR charge mega dollars for overweight (my sister's experience).

I travel with about 70 lbs of camera and computer equipment. 2 D200s, 6 lenses, Ikelite housing, 2 DS200 strobes, arms, cords, laptop, batteries................

I tried a hard sided case the first year, but it was too inflexible and I ended up with a lot of wasted space inside.

Now I use a regular rollaboard bag and a computer backpack.

I don't carry on regs and dive computer any more.

My wife and I each take a ThinkTank backpack with housing, camera, lens, ports (hers is video). A complete enough set to get in the water if the rest of our stuff doesn't get there for the first day. We also take a big Storm case with video lights, extra ports, extra lenses, extra strobes etc. Always pay extra for luggage, on our trip to the Philippines, we had about $80 each way for flying from Manila to Dumaguete.

Bill

I use a camera backpack for the camera (Nikon D80) and lenses and power cords etc. I put the housing in a carryon that is a normal caryon suitcase where I added a hard liner to the front and use towels to pad the housing and lens port and strobes. I've taken that set up to Egypt, Galapagos and Bahamas. They did make me check the carry on from Florida to the Bahamas but assured me it would go "on top" I had no problems but was happy I put that hard liner.

I used to carry my housing and camera and regs and computer and laptop and all the stuff and by the time I get to where I am going my back, neck or shoulders are so messed up from lugging all that crap that my trip is not as enjoyable as it could be.

Now I just check two bags and everything except my laptop, DSLR, lens and dive computer gets checked, my ikelight housing is a pretty robust item, I wrap it in my 3 mil and just stuff it down in the middle of the bag.

I really enjoy underwater photography but have almost given it up because of the hassle of lugging all the equipment around.

This is my camera/computer bag,
Lowepro - CompuDaypack
I only use one lens underwater and for top side I have a small pocket sized camera

This is my second carryon/camera bag it usually has books, snacks and overflow room to spare for the trip home, I use it to carry my rig to and from the boat while on location.
Lowepro - Stealth Reporter D650 AW

By the way the last three times I have connected in Miami coming home from the Caribbean TSA has tried to forced me to check my camera bag because it wouldn’t fit in the bag sizers at the entrance to the security screening. Just two weeks ago I wiggled it to make it drop in to the sizer and the TSA agent said it had to drop in on its own. I have only had this problem in Miami and only when having to rescreen after coming thru customs. Thankfully the first two times I got American involved and they battled with TSA to get me thru. This last time they let me go before I had to get American on their case.

I am close to breaking away from American just to avoid connecting in Miami, my least favorite airport in the world.

One last point the last two trips coming home from Belize and Grand Cayman the foreign security made me remove the batteries from my dive lights and carry them on they could not stay in my checked luggage

Most of my stuff fits fine

2250767297_a12f313e29_o.jpg

Now that is downright sexy!

Allison,

Do you find the dividers provide a less secure fit than the pick and pluck foam. I'm still using the foam, but I could use a bit more room to store my gear and it seems like you've got a lot more gear in there than I can fit in Pelican 1610.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom