traveling with camera - how to pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone offer some advice for packing your camera and strobe when traveling? I have an Olympus C5050 and PT-015 housing with an Inon strobe and ULCS arms. Normally I take this in my carry-on packed in some soft cases, but this takes up most of my carry-on bag. I havent really figured out how to pack these in some more compact fashion in my carry-on. Ideally, I'd like to pack the camera in my checked bag along with my other dive gear but I'm not sure what to put it in - how to pack it.
I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is how best to pack the camera in a solid but compact way.

Any suggestions?

adjuster-jd:
Can anyone offer some advice for packing your camera and strobe when traveling? I have an Olympus C5050 and PT-015 housing with an Inon strobe and ULCS arms. Normally I take this in my carry-on packed in some soft cases, but this takes up most of my carry-on bag. I havent really figured out how to pack these in some more compact fashion in my carry-on. Ideally, I'd like to pack the camera in my checked bag along with my other dive gear but I'm not sure what to put it in - how to pack it.
I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is how best to pack the camera in a solid but compact way.

Any suggestions?
Personally, I wouldn't trust my camera gear with any else but me!! ESPECIALLY the luggage gorillas!! I can get all the camera gear and my regs, computer in one carry-on. It's not light, but it does make it to my destination!!

I second ABQdiver on this, perhaps put housing and strobes in checked baggage (depending on size) but I would NEVER give my camera to check in baggage (unless I'm stupid like I was when I flew back from a cruise and was slightly sleepy and forgot my camera was in my bag, fortunately it only got a minor dent!)

I usually put the camera in the housing (without the o-ring in place) and that usually fits in my small camera bag which also contains my add-on lens. The camera bag then goes into my carry-on bag (along with my regs). My strobe gets wrapped up in t-shirts and also goes in that carry-on bag. The arms and trays usually fits in that carry-on bag as well. Thank god I don't have a dslr. I wouldn't know how to pack something that big. I usually get my bag hand checked after the x-ray but has had no problem so far. Most make a positive comment about the whole set-up.

I would not pack my camera in checked as well. I want to keep it. Same goes for my regs. I have 2 ways of packing depending on if my wife is traveling or not. If she is, we pack necessary cloths and the like in a small suit case she carries and I pack my camera in a hard case for it. We both then carry a "personal" item. I find an old laptop bag to be perfect, no one ever ask whats in it except the TSA and they could care less wheather it's a second suitcase or a "personal" item. I can pack my regs, mask and other small items in it. It being padded is a plus.
If I am traveling alone, I pack my housing and strobe in a small carry on suitcase with my cloths and the "personal" item is packed as before.
I only pack in the carry on what I have to have that can't be rented or purchased or items that are expensive or personal- regs, cameras, mask and meds. I also pack one set of cloths to get me though 1 day. They also double as padding for the camera and regs.

We sell OP/Tech wraps, similar products are available from Domke.
http://www.reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=937

These are foam pads w/ velcro in the corners, and are great for wrapping strobes, housings etc up individually. Use them as you would bubble wrap-

If you dissassemble the arm, tray, and handle it can fit in a relatively small ziploc.

I find Pelican cases to be overkill, especially for carry on luggage.

I agree with "keep it with you" crowd also. I use a Kiesel RX450 Camera bag/backpack that I love. Built like iron and light at the same time. Carries 2 cameras and accessories and a laptop. It also has external straps to carry a uni or tripod if you like. I do not carry a laptop, so I get my reg in the bag also.

http://www.kieselbags.com/shop/product.aspx?id=17

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom